This may be a long shot but have you checked to see if your radiator fan is loose? When i replaced my clutch i took the radiator off and found that the three bolts holding the radiator fan in place were loose two of which were about to fall out. You mentioned it did not make the noise until you where almost to work. As long as the fan is not running no noise but you could hook up Tune ECU and run a fan check. Like i said it is a long shot but you never know.

Hey guys- I don't think that this has been suggested yet (if so, sorry), but if not the brakes, wheel bearing, etc....... the water pump? I've had one go bad on a different Triumph, but it just leaked, never made a sound, but I think one going bad could conceivably start squealing. The delay he describes before it started on his way home from the dealer makes me wonder.
What do the wise ones say?

Argggg! Sonny! You replied while I was typing. I think we're honing in on the right area. Your idea on the fan sounds more likely....

Bam got it to record. I was purposely keeping revs up to get it to do it. Took awhile but I was able to keep it going.

Hey guys- I don't think that this has been suggested yet (if so, sorry), but if not the brakes, wheel bearing, etc....... the water pump? I've had one go bad on a different Triumph, but it just leaked, never made a sound, but I think one going bad could conceivably start squealing. The delay he describes before it started on his way home from the dealer makes me wonder.
What do the wise ones say?

Argggg! Sonny! You replied while I was typing. I think we're honing in on the right area. Your idea on the fan sounds more likely....
My idea on the fan is just a long shot. Do know if i had not replaced clutch and hoses with Samco the fan would have very easily become a problem. The dam$ thing was just barely hanging on. Kind of pissed me off when i found it like that.

Maybe you got one that was intended for Australia .... has a "Shoo-Roo" installed ..... high frequency whistle device that frightens Kangaroos.

On a more serious note .... I hope you find it .... this appears to be quite perplexing but my experience is that Rockets do make a cacophony of little noises that will drive you mad if you try and chase them. There have been other "noise chase" threads that have ended with "I'll just ride it until something breaks" and nothing breaks. Its still a very new bike with plenty of bits that need to settle down. I just keep punching my '04 up the road, rattles, pops, whistles wherrrs and all. It just keeps doing its job ...... munching miles;);)

Well I have good news, you're not imagining it :D

Really sounds like an engine/transmission noise, if you listen to how it happens in tandem with the engine, e.g. @ 0:55 and @ 1:08

I don't see how the dealer can say there is nothing wrong when you play that back for them.

I think you've said it doesn't sound when in neutral and revved up past 4k, only when riding along above 4k in 1st, 2nd, 3rd at least.
Have you tried revving it up past 4k when in gear with clutch pulled? (wouldn't do a lot of it, but once just to test)

Really sounds like an engine/transmission noise, if you listen to how it happens in tandem with the engine, e.g. @ 0:55 and @ 1:08

I don't see how the dealer can say there is nothing wrong when you play that back for them.

I think you've said it doesn't sound when in neutral and revved up past 4k, only when riding along above 4k in 1st, 2nd, 3rd at least.
Have you tried revving it up past 4k when in gear with clutch pulled? (wouldn't do a lot of it, but once just to test)

Sent video to dealership. They called me and said we dont know. Said if they cant put it on the lift and reproduce it they cant figure it out.

What I've been able to figure out so far. Today it took about 20 minutes of riding (and trying to irritate the bike) to get it to happen. Once I got there though it was like clockwork. It happens at 4k rpms on the dot. I know 1st and second for sure. Have not been able to do it by just revving.

Back