Broken throttle assembly

cunningham67

.020 Over
Het guys,

Just a little heads up on what happened to me last weekend...Was riding down a back road (thank god it wasnt the highway!!!) went to accelerate and the throttle just spun around..NO POWER at all :eek: Made it to the side of the road and after taking the throttle assembly off. noticed that the cable holder had broken at the top cable point. Of course this rarely happens, but if its going to happen, its going to happen to me :p

Any way, had it towed 85 miles to my dealer and of course its not covered under warranty, because I swapped out the stock grips for Kuryakyns a day after I bought my RIII last year. Could have been a contruction issue or I could have done something to it when putting it on...but it lasted a year...so who knows.. Just glad it didn't happen on a major roadway or as I was going through an intersection .

$215 for a new cable, grips and labor from my dealer...not the end of the world and hopefully I will have my baby back in a few days

Best

Chris

I've read a lot of recent issues with either the cable barrel end or the throttle grip cam breaking. Are you guys all trying to turn up the volume to 11 or what? :D

Could be adjusting the throttle cables too tight and over-stressing the linkage....

If you are adjusting the cables yourself, be sure to consult the service manual so that you are doing it properly.

I, for one, wasn't and luckily my service tech caught it and had enough sense to ask me if I had adjusted them. He proceeded to tell me the right way to do it.

Back