BREAKING NEWS:Harley Davidson closing a plant due to declining sales.

This has been going around since 2004 still waiting., will be hard for Triumph to justify a new Rocket as the existing one is not a big seller.
I just can’t understand this. Why on earth is a powerhouse like this not a popular motorbike? I mean who just craves a slow gutless bike?

Everywhere you go you see performance modifications for so many brands . Certainly there is a universal love of power in the biking world.

I just can’t understand this. Why on earth is a powerhouse like this not a popular motorbike? I mean who just craves a slow gutless bike?

Everywhere you go you see performance modifications for so many brands . Certainly there is a universal love of power in the biking world.

Because motorcycling is a broad church and the Rocket satisfies but one small niche within it. The standard rocket does a few things very well and many things OK.

It goes very well off the mark but there are plenty of other bikes that go better. It corners well considering it's weight and size but most other bikes corner better, something I learned chasing a mob of GSXRs, RSVs, CBRs and KTMs a couple of weekends ago. Through the twisties? Just forget it.

The only thing where the Rocket is actually the leader is for cubic inches and torque. Which really only gives you bragging rights and is still handicapped by the weight of the thing.

Practical and logical reasons aside, what it really boils down to is whether or not the Rocket is "your bag, baby" ... and that is entirely subjective.

The Rocket IS my bag, baby ... but I'm not everybody.

What the Rocket had that sealed the deal for me is:

Effortless torque.
Comfort - Not perfect but it's getting there.
Pillion comfort - My Mrs found the CBR1100XX legroom too cramped.
Low to the ground - My Mrs did not like being perched up high on the back seat of my CBR1100XX, especially in corners.
Looks - Yeah, subjective but I actually like the look of the thing. It's mean and purposeful.
Luggage capacity - It's not the best but it's enough for me.
Price - The other bike that would do all of this would be a Goldwing. But I was never a fan of the look of the old ones and couldn't afford a new one.

The Rocket ticked enough boxes for what I was after and I'm well happy with it.

Because motorcycling is a broad church and the Rocket satisfies but one small niche within it. The standard rocket does a few things very well and many things OK.

It goes very well off the mark but there are plenty of other bikes that go better. It corners well considering it's weight and size but most other bikes corner better, something I learned chasing a mob of GSXRs, RSVs, CBRs and KTMs a couple of weekends ago. Through the twisties? Just forget it.

The only thing where the Rocket is actually the leader is for cubic inches and torque. Which really only gives you bragging rights and is still handicapped by the weight of the thing.

Practical and logical reasons aside, what it really boils down to is whether or not the Rocket is "your bag, baby" ... and that is entirely subjective.

Effortless torque.
Low to the ground - My Mrs did not like being perched up high on the back seat of my CBR1100XX, especially in corners.
Looks - Yeah, subjective but I actually like the look of the thing. It's mean and purposeful.
Price - The other bike that would do all of this would be a Goldwing. But I was never a fan of the look of the old ones and couldn't afford a new one.

The main thing against the rocket is the possibly weak or bad design gearboxes and wiring problems. Having said that I have one. I live in hope I won't end up with a £2000+ repair bill due to bad design.

Sure Stimpy

Effortless torque.

The main thing against the rocket is the possibly weak or bad design gearboxes and wiring problems. Having said that I have one. I live in hope I won't end up with a £2000+ repair bill due to bad design.

Plus as an afterthought all the prices for parts are overpriced just like Harley. ( and I have a Harley too)

Ok I concede that my musings were a bit jaded. I’m just so fond of my new Rocket. They are big and to fast for most riders.:p

Back