Brake Disc Bolts

This thread has gone so far south I am done. Brake bolts are nothing to play with. Titanium bolts sound really impressive to a novice. Yes they serve a purpose on the race track mainly because they cut weight. But back here in the real world.?

NO!. Be very wary of that stuff. Sure, it prevents the threads seizing together... but it also prevents them holding together. They work loose, very easily. Not a good outcome!

If you get the titanium bolts, they won't seize anyway.
Note I said “personally “ it’s a forum based on members ideas and opinions, personally I,ve not lost a bolt in 55 years of riding and building but I have had many chocolate bolts shear off or Allen head bolts go round because they have corroded into the alloy or the wrong type of thread lock was used.
Seems some people on the forum always need to be right.............

I think Triumph (and many other manufacturers) state that bolts, washers on drain plugs, gaskets and numerous other items should be replaced after a single use because of liability issues. They don't know who will be working on their bikes.

I personally (to the best of my knowledge) have never replaced a copper/aluminum washer on a drain plug or a bolt on a brake rotor and have tried to reuse things like valve cover gaskets if they looked fine often because the parts aren't readily available. Experience plays a big part in this. Tire manufacturers state car tires are for cars, yet fellows place them on their motorcycles... Is that life threatening? Placing a rear motorcycle tire on the front forks with the tread reversed is supposed to be a no no.... but fellows do it? Our engines are designed to run with certain compression pistons along with certain cam profiles. Do we change them? Do we modify the engine tunes? Is there a risk the engine could blow or seize causing a life threatening injury? What about those guys that reduce the torque on the rear wheel axle to a lower value? I guess it depends on your risk tolerance. If you do not have any experience in the field, following the manufacturers recommendation is probably the best thing and the most expensive.

Honestly, how many fellows have had their brake rotor come loose due to reusing bolts??? I never have.

Back