Bill & Emma's 2015 R3T

FWIW, here in congested northern Virginia, my wife and I were struggling with how to deal with the coming of age for our two daughters, amid the lives lost, and came to the conclusion that we insisted they both obtain their driver's license on a motorcycle first, and had to ride for a year before we'd let them start driving a car.

Everyone is different -- I do hope Kate does learn to ride and wish you both all the best.

FWIW, here in congested northern Virginia, my wife and I were struggling with how to deal with the coming of age for our two daughters, amid the lives lost, and came to the conclusion that we insisted they both obtain their driver's license on a motorcycle first, and had to ride for a year before we'd let them start driving a car.

Everyone is different -- I do hope Kate does learn to ride and wish you both all the best.

Everything in life has consequences. My dad was a flat track racer and taught me. If my daughter wants to ride so I am going to be the one to teach her. She will take the safety coarses here in the state as well. I think we will have some great times and give her some memories to think back on when I am long gone.

Biggest bonus is it will intimidate the hell out of the boys chasing her skirt.

@BillyIndiana -- we are of a similar mind.

Most, if not all of the stories of teenage drivers with bad outcomes involved multiple people in the vehicle and often texting (read: distractions). With the motorcycle we reasoned, our girls would be doing no texting while riding, and with both hands on the handlebars, it took little imagination to suggest what a guy on back might do with free hands. The girls did occasionally offer rides -- only with other girls.

Back