Bigger difference

TRath

Supercharged
Ride
'09 RIII Classic Custom, '82 GL500 Café, '82 CBX
So I've got a bit stashed away and I'm looking to do something about the buffeting on the highway, but I'm not sure what will make the bigger difference; taller windshield (i.e. a clearview) or the lowers.

Any word from the voices of experience?

Windvest. Looks best. Top quality. the 16x16" should cut out the buffeting up to the top of your forehead. i like that because it takes all the heavy winloading off of you, but you still feel "in the wind". Check em' out!

http://www.windvest.com/

I have both. Tall Clear view and the lowers. I got the lower wind deflectors because there was still some buffeting coming under the windshield that interfeared with my intercom. I was going to buy just one, I'd go with the taller windshield.

Because of your height (unknown) you have to figure out which shield is best for you. I got the Clearview 25" with Gold Wing vent and am pretty happy with it...at least when I am stateside and using it.

Dennis

46 (?) dtg Dubai/Kuwait (?)
47 (?) dtg Home

5'9" My understanding is that you should just be looking over the top of the screen when you're in a comfortable riding position.

As for the Windvest, do you have any pics of it mounted? Looks kinda funny just on the little stand on the site.

Get the lowers before doing anything. I tried 5 windshields before going that route. The air is coming from below....not over the top.
Go out and do 60 MPH or so and hold the palm of your hand down by your knee. Move it around. You'll see that it stops the airflow from the bottom.

5'9" and you have the Roadster screeen I presume. I'm 5'11" and the air over the top hits me at less than 2 inches from the top of my skid lid.

The lowers greatly diminished the buffetting for me. I tried the LameLip (aka Laminarlip) and it was a huge improvement until the high summer heat (105+) and 100+ interstate speed wind force took it off. Im lucky to be alive.

The upswepttop curvature of the WindVest was immediately inviting to me, until I saw it mounted. Its a one side fits all and the RocketIII is not. The extra lower accomodations, on the OEM screens, for the dual headlights keeps a tremendous amount of bugs and crud off of the hardware behind it and the wind flow from flowing under it.

As for looking over the top...that is correct. You don't need two rain streaked screens to look through (googles and windscreen). And the diffusion of headlight glare from oncoming pukes with there brights on is diminished with just your goggles or drastically increased when trying to look through two rain streaked windows.

Last edited:
Good info on the Windvest, Hairytick. I ran them on both of my VTXes and they really were the bomb, but after reading what you experienced, they do not sound like the optimal choice for our Rockets.

I recall reading that you should be able to look over a screen or shield, directly at the roadway approx. 50 feet in front of you. Makes sense to me!

Back