BEWARE...Posting Smartphone Photos of Bikes

@MarvinM
When I check the meta data I see "This website does not supply ownership information". :thumbsup:

Actually, my phone does store location data. The pic of my truck was auto uploaded to my Google Photos account and auto-analyzed in a multitude of interesting ways leading to a massive invasion if my privacy :eek:

However, this site does strip meta-data on uploaded jpg/png images in order to minimize storage requirements o_O
Testing again.
IMG_1230.jpg

This site doesn't strip meta data from images if that test was anything to go by.. I know exactly where it is.

Greetings and salutations from 1984 to all. If you think that "smart" phones are the only ones that supply meta data I would humbly submit that you are mistaken. Meta data was at the core of the big stink over the NSA performing warrantless surveillance on the general public a short while back. The governments argument was "we aren't tracking you we are simply collecting the meta data on EVERY phone in the continental US." As you now know that data contains date, time and location information. Unfortunately the A.D.D. American public got distracted and bought that answer because Miley Sirus or some other Hollywood starlet got out of their limo without any drawers on and showed the world their business...Oh look...a squirrel!!

Having said that it does come in handy sometimes. I used meta data to provide proof of a recent iron butt ride. Garmin Basecamp gives you the ability to download your track from a compatible Garmin GPS and publish what they call an adventure to their website. This shows the exact route the device travelled, miles, etc. You can also upload pictures and video to the adventure. If you have the meta data enabled on your phone those pics and vids are placed on the route exactly where you took them and display time and date. Like I said...handy.

This site doesn't strip meta data from images if that test was anything to go by.. I know exactly where it is.

That's what I found. I downloaded the picture from site and viewed info on my Mac. Shows a zoomable map to my house.

Greetings and salutations from 1984 to all. If you think that "smart" phones are the only ones that supply meta data I would humbly submit that you are mistaken. Meta data was at the core of the big stink over the NSA performing warrantless surveillance on the general public a short while back. The governments argument was "we aren't tracking you we are simply collecting the meta data on EVERY phone in the continental US." As you now know that data contains date, time and location information. Unfortunately the A.D.D. American public got distracted and bought that answer because Miley Sirus or some other Hollywood starlet got out of their limo without any drawers on and showed the world their business...Oh look...a squirrel!!

Having said that it does come in handy sometimes. I used meta data to provide proof of a recent iron butt ride. Garmin Basecamp gives you the ability to download your track from a compatible Garmin GPS and publish what they call an adventure to their website. This shows the exact route the device travelled, miles, etc. You can also upload pictures and video to the adventure. If you have the meta data enabled on your phone those pics and vids are placed on the route exactly where you took them and display time and date. Like I said...handy.
The meta data is useful, but should be stripped out before posting images online.

That's what I found. I downloaded the picture from site and viewed info on my Mac. Shows a zoomable map to my house.
Indeed I was able to do the same thing. I figured you had a Mac because the pic was taken on an iPhone. I was able to verify it was your house by looking at the reflection of the style of your garage windows in the bikes rear fender then comparing the street view image from 2007 when the garage doors were more visible.. creepy huh? Don't worry I live on the other side of the world from you! But I hope this demonstrates to the less tech savvy on this forum that you shouldn't take your privacy for granted.

This pic was taken from the parking lot of a small church, where a marriage anniversary celebration was taking place. I was outside and browsing posts from my phone.

When one "manipulates" a picture, it is possible that R3Owners user computers (and even my extended infrastructure) will write new metadata elements into a picture; for example a PC writes metadata to improve indexing features.

The point of my original response is that this site does an extensive amount of optimization on any uploaded content, including renaming files and reducing image file sizes.

So posting a response of where I was at isn't going to harm anyone. Especially if you're looking for a new worship home.

The point of my original response is that this site does an extensive amount of optimization on any uploaded content, including renaming files and reducing image file sizes.
Not sure how this applies to the example provided by @MarvinM ? That image was not changed in anyway that I could tell. Your original response proved nothing in this regard or to the original topic.

Back