Bevel box oil change WTF

it seems to me that the guy with the big muscles usually has the most problems. worked with a couple
and it seemed like it was always harder to take bolts loose after they had tighten them up.

Think you be onto something there.
I used to bust bolts and strip threads on a regular basis back in my weight lifting days.
Now a days at 68, I . . . well, let's just say it ain't happened in years! :roll: :p

I SEE THIS KIND OF STUFF all the time most tire places when torquing a rim hammers it down with an impact which torques the nut to about 150 lbs then puts the torque wrench and checks it to 85 to 120. that is not torquing the nut. what happens is a lot of the times it stretches the stud and locks the nut down so when you try to take it off you break the stud. i ask them not to use an impact and when i check them they are usually about 150 lbs.

Most tire shops use a "torque stick" on their impacts in which it torques the lug nuts to a specified torque. Like to 65 ft-lbs. Then the tech torques the lug nuts to the final torque using hand held torque wrench. This is the proper way to do it. Torque sticks can be bought with certain torques. Are you sure they aren't using torque sticks?

http://www.torquestick.com/

Most tire shops use a "torque stick" on their impacts in which it torques the lug nuts to a specified torque. Like to 65 ft-lbs. Then the tech torques the lug nuts to the final torque using hand held torque wrench. This is the proper way to do it. Torque sticks can be bought with certain torques. Are you sure they aren't using torque sticks?

i use a 3/8 extension 6 inch long with 1/2 adapters which sets the lug nut at 80 then the torque wrench for a final setting.
when it takes a breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater bar i know that they were not torqued to proper torque.
of coarse when we rebuild a front wheel drive transmission we remove the front wheels.

Like the kit, but starting at 65 ft/lbs, is higher than I would like.

for smaller stuff i use 3/8 impact to 1/4 adapter 6 inch 1/4 extension (.244 )dia works great on trans pan bolts. never checked it with a torque wrench i will have to do that. they have some pretty small bolts on the foreign trans. and i have never broke one with this set up.

for smaller stuff i use 3/8 impact to 1/4 adapter 6 inch 1/4 extension (.244 )dia works great on trans pan bolts. never checked it with a torque wrench i will have to do that. they have some pretty small bolts on the foreign trans. and i have never broke one with this set up.

You be a PRO, Herman! :thumbsup:

The law of the land from what I've been told is on most passenger cars the final torque should be around 80 so that a lady wearing high heels can brake the lugs loose.

The law of the land from what I've been told is on most passenger cars the final torque should be around 80 so that a lady wearing high heels can brake the lugs loose.
My nuts just came loose thinking of a lady in high heels changing her wheel.:p
I always stop to assist a lady with a flat tyre tho...

i usually use 87 as a rule and have a cheater bar in the vehicle for my wife:D

Humans suck at doing things even remotely consistently, tightening bolts is no exception. Using a torque wrench is just common sense if you want to make sure you get it right. They're not *that* expensive.

Back