bad rear drive unit?

markc

Buckkwheat
Ride
07 r3 classic
Just got back today from a 800+ mile trip to WV. About 80 miles from home, I start hearing a bad noise from the bike. It sounded like gravel in the trans. or drive shaft area. Then I started feeling it in the foot boards. It got real bad when I cut back on the throttle. I still heard and felt it with no throttle and the clutch in. Sound like a bad rear drive unit? Something else? I'm taking the bike to the dealer tomorrow. This will be the 4th time I had this bike in for warranty issues. I bought the bike new in April of 07. R3 Classic.
Odometer: 4165 miles

Not a Happy Camper!

MarkC

Ya just gotta get the bugs worked out & she should be fine. But, that's your call. Some captains are in the same boat as you, not "real" happy.

But me, :D:D:D! Bugs once in a while but can deal with that too. Was going to contact the dealer but I know what they would say, "Just smile less".

Really, I hope it all works out for you markc, would not wish for you to turn away from something that is going to give you lots of fun.:eek:

output shaft bearing gone

Just got back today from a 800+ mile trip to WV. About 80 miles from home, I start hearing a bad noise from the bike. It sounded like gravel in the trans. or drive shaft area. Then I started feeling it in the foot boards. It got real bad when I cut back on the throttle. I still heard and felt it with no throttle and the clutch in. Sound like a bad rear drive unit? Something else? I'm taking the bike to the dealer tomorrow. This will be the 4th time I had this bike in for warranty issues. I bought the bike new in April of 07. R3 Classic.
Odometer: 4165 miles

Not a Happy Camper!

MarkC

Hello,

My output shaft bearing is bad. 4200 miles on an 07 r3 classic. Talked to the mechanic and he didn't konw why it went bad so soon.
The real bad news is that the " whole unit" that was ordered is on back order. From the postings on this and other forums it seems that this issue is more common then it should be, which also means that Triumph knows about it and should have the required parts on hand all the time. The fix that was supposedly done on the newer rockets must not have been all that was needed to fix the problem.

Markc

Sorry to hear that. Not good that it is showing up on '07s. I would be tempted to ask for a new bike. A couple of good threads on the subject. Lancelot was able to get a new bike from Triumph.

update on bike woes

piggr & flip,

It turns out to be the torsional damper shaft unit(tdsu). I talked to my dealer today and they told me that Triumph was overnighting the tdsu from where ever to Atlanta and then overnighting it up to my dealer. My dealer should have the parts no later than wednesday. It is replaced as a unit. A test ride by weeks end should tell me if that was all that was wrong. My dealer has been very good with this problem. It appears to be a very big repair issue. The whole engine has to be removed to get the tdsu out. I have concerns about crap geting to other parts of the motor or trans. The mechanic seems to be very sharp and I will be visiting the shop to see my bike torn down and to ask alot of questions. Anything I'm missing?

thanks

Markc

Sounds to me like you are in good hands (and not Allstate either). I'll have to get the shop manual out but if memory serves me correctly it's up behind the starter in the main case. I'd reasonably expect an oil and filter change though I'd opt to pay for the oil and filter. Just good insurance for any stray stuff.

The best way to get things screwed up is to help the mechanic...

Shop Rates:

$90 per hour

$180 per hour if you want to watch

$360 per hour if you want to help

$1000 per hour if your name is Flip

Back