with that much compression difference I can see why she needs work. Hey Snuf do you know what size engine came in the TT600's I got my eye on a 2001?

I believe it's the same 600cc motor, but with a little more torque. These bikes are a blast in the curves. You'll have to reprogram your brain coming from an #800 beast to a #-400 scalpel

Last edited:
None of that sounds kosher to me. If you had/have carbon on the backside of the valve heads and the water did knock it loose (a possibility because GM used to sell a pour through the carb additive that was basically glycerine and distilled water designed to 'steam clean' the intake and exhaust to remove carbon deposits), how could a stray bit of carbon get lodged between the seating face and the seat itself and if it did, it should have just passed through after maybe a brief loss of compression.

The seating surface of the backside of the valve and the seat itself is narrow.

I'm curious.
Flip I've actually seen gluey carbon get smashed in the valve seat and stay there. It ends up looking more like a dark stain than carbon, but it makes the valve leak. Usually just lapping the valve fixes it, but who knows whats going on in this case.

The mechanic ran a compression check
#1-90psi
#2-70psi
#3-175psi
#4-110psi
last gallon of gas in tank had 17 oz. of water and rust.
He told me that the valve springs are not very strong and that it dosen't take much to keep them from closing. This dealership has always been fair and honest with me, so I don't think they are trying to pull a fast one. But then again, a mechanic I'm not.

The part about the springs not being very strong makes me wonder. Don't the springs have to be at least strong to keep the valves from floating?

This just doesn't smell right to me.

This shop has always been straight up with me, so out of mechanical ignorance I'll have to trust them. When I bought my America from them I had it for three months and traded it in on the Rocket. The dealer gave me what I paid for it on trade. So basically I rode it for free for those three months. The Speed Four that I bought from him, he financed himself. No credit checks, just a hand shake and out the door. It's just hard to believe that they're ripping me off. They saved the gas for me which clearly has rusty looking water in it. The bike wouldn't run when I dropped it off, and now it does. I'll just have to chalk it up as a very exspensive "**** happens". Hope this never happens to any of y'all.:confused::eek::)

Back