Nearly a very bad day - heard something drop

ant

Turbocharged
Ride
Triumph rocket 3 2007
Thought today i would change the plugs on the rocket.A simple task that turned very bad.
I have a set of Halfords locking 3/8 locking extension bars great for changing plugs as they lock on the plug socket.
The extension bars were purchased over 10 years ago but only used for changing plugs and up until now have served me well.
When i removed a plug from the plug socket i heard something drop....After a lot of looking for something and sratching my head i came to realized what had happen..
In the end of the extension bar is a pin that came loose and that ended up going down one of the plug hole.
Lucky i had a mini endoscope camera..Lucky there were two plug hole.......
Going to have a chat with Mr Halfords about his lifetime tool guarantee.....:mad:

WP_20201025_008.jpg WP_20201025_004.jpg WP_20201025_005.jpg

Looking back i don't usually pull the plugs from the plug socket until i am at the bench and ready to inspect them.
It was lucky that i heard something drop when i did....First thought was WHAT WAS THAT,second thought was WHERE DID THAT GO,
third thought was...WHERE IS THE WORSE PLACE THAT IT COULD HAVE GONE..

This little thing that cost under £20 is a great tool...This is not the first time that this little camera has save me money.
WP_20201028_001.jpg

Looking back i don't usually pull the plugs from the plug socket until i am at the bench and ready to inspect them.
It was lucky that i heard something drop when i did....First thought was WHAT WAS THAT,second thought was WHERE DID THAT GO,

This little thing that cost under £20 is a great tool...This is not the first time that this little camera has save me money.
WP_20201028_001.jpg
Fantastic, well done. I probably would have had to remove the head just to be sure. ( very upsetting and a lesson to us all)

WP_20201028_001.jpg
It's strange that whenever we drop something it always seems to vanish and ends up in the place it can cause most damage. That is if you can ever find it again before the damage occurs!

Sometimes it pays to be diligent.... :) Good catch. I don't have any of those locking extensions but I do have some locking ratchets that I've just checked for peace of mind.

Which is why I only loosen the plug then remove socket, extension and ratchet. Then I use a piece of gas line hose about 7" long that I push over the sparkplug. Next a shot of air down the spark plug well adjacent to the hose blows out any debris loosened from around base of the plug, and then turn the plug out with the hose. Works great to re-install plugs too as it is almost impossible to cross thread when turning them in.

Back