Nearly a very bad day - heard something drop

Looking back i don't usually pull the plugs from the plug socket until i am at the bench and ready to inspect them.
It was lucky that i heard something drop when i did....First thought was WHAT WAS THAT,second thought was WHERE DID THAT GO,
third thought was...WHERE IS THE WORSE PLACE THAT IT COULD HAVE GONE..

This little thing that cost under £20 is a great tool...This is not the first time that this little camera has save me money.
WP_20201028_001.jpg
That looks like a pretty nice scope. Does it have a magnet and hook tool that fits over the end of the scope?

Which is why I only loosen the plug then remove socket, extension and ratchet. Then I use a piece of gas line hose about 7" long that I push over the sparkplug. Next a shot of air down the spark plug well adjacent to the hose blows out any debris loosened from around base of the plug, and then turn the plug out with the hose. Works great to re-install plugs too as it is almost impossible to cross thread when turning them in.
I seen Steel do it. He simply picks the rocket up turns it over and shake vigorously!!!

That looks like a pretty nice scope. Does it have a magnet and hook tool that fits over the end of the scope?
The scope is just a camera..I was able to use one plug hole for the scope the other to insert the removal tool that i made from a piece of tube
and the end of a magnetic extendable tool.....

Having worked on military aircraft where if it gets lost, the airplane is grounded until it is found. Not to mention a few "hell holes" where you definitely don't want to drop something or half the bird has to be taken apart to find/retrieve it, I have come up with some pretty ingenious methods of retrieval over the years. Especially nerve racking are the spots where you actually have to tie a string around the tool and your wrist just in case!

Endoscopic tools are valuable in getting into small spaces. I have one in my tool inventory whereas it has allowed me to Inspect and retrieve items from virtually any restricted space.

Thought today i would change the plugs on the rocket.A simple task that turned very bad.
I have a set of Halfords locking 3/8 locking extension bars great for changing plugs as they lock on the plug socket.
The extension bars were purchased over 10 years ago but only used for changing plugs and up until now have served me well.
When i removed a plug from the plug socket i heard something drop....After a lot of looking for something and sratching my head i came to realized what had happen..
In the end of the extension bar is a pin that came loose and that ended up going down one of the plug hole.
Lucky i had a mini endoscope camera..Lucky there were two plug hole.......
Going to have a chat with Mr Halfords about his lifetime tool guarantee.....:mad:

WP_20201025_008.jpg WP_20201025_004.jpg WP_20201025_005.jpg
Something very similar happened to me back in the days when the Honda CBX was king.. while changing one of the six plugs and me not looking down
into the tight slot where the plugs sit, a small stone dropped into the cylinder when removing the plug.. Not knowing, i started the engine when completed
and heard a sickening clicking sound. Bike was still under warranty .. That cylinder had a punched piston and a bent valve stem and seat damage. Hard to believe
a stone could do that.. The front tire must have picked it up and thats where it ended up.. CBX engines are Hemi's and Honda should have put shrouds around the plug ends.

2k to fix it.. Luckily the dealer took care of it.

Back