Audiovox Cruise Control Questions

sirwin

Standard Bore
Gents:

I'm preparing to tackle an install of the Audivox CCS-100 universal cruise control system on my 2009 R3T. I've read every internet posting (Triumph and non-Triumph) on the Audiovox install I could find, and of course found the RIII-related posts on this site to be the most informative. However, I do have two lingering questions that I'm hoping those of you who've already traveled the Audivox road can answer before I start tearing into it:

1. How does the ball chain (connecting the servo to the throttle bodies) actually attach to the throttle actuator under the bear claw? I've seen plenty of pics showing how the throttle control cable attaches to the bike (typically with a fabricated bracket), but no pics of how the ball chain attaches to the actuator. Other (non-Triumph sites) mention driling and tapping the actuator, etc. How is it done on the RIII actuator?

2. Is a vacuum reserve canister required, or does the installation of a check valve in the vacuum line between the throttle bodies and the servo do the trick? I've ready several posts indicating the vacuum reserve canister is not necessary, but every install instructions I've found that includes pics also includes the canister. I've also read of some folks having trouble with the cruise control holding at high speeds (presumably due to the reduction in vacuum). Can anyone with the Audiovox set up on his/her RIII provide some advice on the canister vs. check valve (or canister + check valve) issue?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

you will definitely need a vacuum canister....but why go vacuum when audiovox/rostra makes an electronic one that would eliminate the vacuum? I only ask because this winter I plan on installing the electronic cruise. im sure the wiring could be cumbersome but Im thinking better in the long run.

mutt

Do you have a vacuum-based Audiovox unit on your R3T, or are you offering an educated opinion?

As for me, I went Audiovox vacuum for 3 reasons:
1. I was able to pick up a new unit very cheap
2. All reports indicate that, when properly installed, vacuum performance equals full electronic
3. There are tons of helpful instructions and illustrations across the internet on the vacuum-based units (not so with full electronic)

Scott

I do not have a vacuum system on my r3t. I have however researched the crap out of both vacuum and electronic versions. So with that said i believe there are documents on here for install. Im sure it doesnt matter either way which one you go with. matter of preference i suppose. But in my research I have found that most people end up with the canister because of the vacuum loss at top end. You can always try it without and if you need it add it. Not sure about the ball chain.
Theres also a r3 owners .com site that may offer some assistance.
Sorry couldnt be more help.

mutt

Thanks for the reply. I've read all the Audiovox posts on this site, R3Owners.com and TriumphRat.net. Unfortunately, none of them explain how the ball chain actually attaches to the throttle actuator. Some other (non-Triumph) tutorials I've read talk about drilling/tapping/attaching a screw to actuator. I'm hoping the reason the attachment process isn't mentioned in the RIII tutorials is because the process is both self-evident and fairly uncomplicated. I guess I'll find out this weekend!

I checked out the parts list/install instructions for the MC Cruise system (which employs the same technology as the Audiovox CCS-100). They do not include a vacuum reservoir - just check a check valve. They also point out that tapping into the "active" throttle body vacuum lines is not the way to go (because they share/sap vacuum). Instead, there is an unused/capped vacuum connection on one end of the throttle body. I'm guessing this obviates the need for a vacuum reservoir. I plan to omit the reservoir, but plumb the vacuum line in a way that a reservoir can be added later without excessive pain and suffering.

I'll report on my brilliant success or utter failure....

Scott

I've installed several of the audiovox systems on cars ... the chain typically attaches to a cable that runs along side the stock throttle cable around the bell crank. That way it has full rotation with the throttle.Check the enclosed instructions and compare it to the smaller crank on the R3 ... they should be similar with the R3's just smaller diameter than a car.

Hey its Honker i did the original post over 4 years ago on the Audio Vox install.I am still running it with great success. However do not use a vacuum canister it gives a slow response. Buy a used vacuum pump off Ebay for a VW Jetta cruise control. its gives much better response.

Honker:

Thanks for your reply. How did you connect the ball chain to the throttle actuator?

Also, which components of the system were you required to fabricate? I'm planning on fabricating the stem for attaching the control unit to the handle bars, as well as the bracket for securing the throttle control line to the frame at the front engine mount. Sound right to you?

Scott

I've been running the CSS100 for 3 years now - works great! A special thanks to Honker for his tutorial a few years back, which I mostly followed, except:

My CC cable runs under the tank and drops down directly over the throttle bell crank (not attached to the frame downtubes). I attached the supplied CC cable bracket directly where the 2 throttle cables also attach.

I did not use the ball chain at all - went direct with CC cable to bell crank - no problems.

I do use a vacuum reservoir, plumbed into the #3 throttle body vacuum port, which is capped at the factory for those bikes without the charcoal canister. Do not plumb into the MAP circuit ( #1 and #2 cylinder ports are used for that), as you may end up with driveability issues as I did. I'm sure Honker's suggestion to use a vacuum pump would be the best answer, but I'm good with the homemade cannister.

Stick with the vacuum operated Audiovox, as it will work great. It appears the fully electronic unit is not sorted out yet, as it needs to tap into the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), which seems to bugger things up according to those who have tried it. Hope this helps.

Back