is there an after market cruise control

+1

I have read the instruction manual for Mccruise and it is literally the best manual I have read

I installed mine -- it's my second bike with McCruise.

As I've said elsewhere, the two brothers behind McCruise were in the aviation industry (Australia's F-111s among others) and their manuals meet that standard, where the manuals are based on an actual project bike with step-by-step instructions liberally illustrated with photos.

And as mentioned earlier, if one has installed @DEcosse 's keyless ignition, there will need to be a diode installed as described.

And McCruise customer service is second to none.

@barbagris...thanks for the post on the Atlas...perfect timing too! I had just finished reading up on the other three it is compared too! I’m gonna spring for one.
Will be VERY INTERESTED in your feedback. Next years run to the UK to see mum will probably be across France - A good 1000miles of motorway. It's when I'd want more assistance. Might also improve mpg - if I set it at about 3000rpms and don't play.

Longrider, did you do your own installation, if so how easy or difficult was it.
Yes indeed. I took two weeks to do a couple of hours work.
Week 1 - received the box. Sat it on the kitchen table and read the instructions, looked in the box and identified parts, read the instructions again and drank whisky .... that lasted about 5 days.
Saturday morning - steeled myself, went to the garage with Box and instructions. Took seat and tank off the bike, Sat read instructions again whilst visualising wiring harness of bike. laid the CC harness on top of the bike, decided it was time for more Whisky, drank and sat and looked.
I did note that there were a couple of instances where pins have to be removed and replaced within harness joiner blocks so I grabbed a couple of old bits of harness (I have a few lying around) and commenced to practice doing this. It is amazing that if you practice this skill just how easy it is to get right. I stuffed a couple up, was sure glad that I was practicing and not doing this on install.
Sunday - more practice with wiring harness blocks. Read instructions again, installed the servo unit under the bike and did the throttle linkage stuff. Installed the delightful switch unit on clutch side. Felt satisfied and scarred, drank Whisky and congratulated self.
Mon to Fri - visited bike occasionally, felt guilty for not working on it, drank whisky to allay the guilt ..... it worked!
My wife had a morning Hockey game (field Hockey) (mad 60yo woman), went to shed with coffee, cigarettes, turned up the stereo and went to work. Everything just fell into place. Wire connectors just happened and two and a half hours later hooked the battery back up and all the correct lights came on, bike started and CC showed that it would turn on. Put tank and seat back on, started the bike, rode out the end of my street on to the Great Western Highway accelerated to 100kph, turned on CC (bike kept going ..... phew!) locked in CC and rode for a couple of K ...... faultless operation, hasn't changed since. Absolutely fantastic.
Spent Sunday congratulating self, drinking Whisky, telling anybody that would listen .... people stopped listening, but I will keep telling.
Seriously I think a key component is grabbing some old wiring harness and practicing taking pins out the back of joiner blocks and putting them back in without damage. I also work quite slowly and methodically. I started at the beginning of the manual and just worked from page to page. Also, one of the great saving graces is that if you buy a unit for the R3, then it comes calibrated for the R3.

Have Fun

Week 1 - received the box. Sat it on the kitchen table and read the instructions, looked in the box and identified parts, read the instructions again and drank whisky .... that lasted about 5 days.
Saturday morning - steeled myself, went to the garage with Box and instructions. Took seat and tank off the bike, Sat read instructions again whilst visualising wiring harness of bike. laid the CC harness on top of the bike, decided it was time for more Whisky, drank and sat and looked.
I did note that there were a couple of instances where pins have to be removed and replaced within harness joiner blocks so I grabbed a couple of old bits of harness (I have a few lying around) and commenced to practice doing this. It is amazing that if you practice this skill just how easy it is to get right. I stuffed a couple up, was sure glad that I was practicing and not doing this on install.
Sunday - more practice with wiring harness blocks. Read instructions again, installed the servo unit under the bike and did the throttle linkage stuff. Installed the delightful switch unit on clutch side. Felt satisfied and scarred, drank Whisky and congratulated self.
Mon to Fri - visited bike occasionally, felt guilty for not working on it, drank whisky to allay the guilt ..... it worked!
My wife had a morning Hockey game (field Hockey) (mad 60yo woman), went to shed with coffee, cigarettes, turned up the stereo and went to work. Everything just fell into place. Wire connectors just happened and two and a half hours later hooked the battery back up and all the correct lights came on, bike started and CC showed that it would turn on. Put tank and seat back on, started the bike, rode out the end of my street on to the Great Western Highway accelerated to 100kph, turned on CC (bike kept going ..... phew!) locked in CC and rode for a couple of K ...... faultless operation, hasn't changed since. Absolutely fantastic.
Spent Sunday congratulating self, drinking Whisky, telling anybody that would listen .... people stopped listening, but I will keep telling.
Seriously I think a key component is grabbing some old wiring harness and practicing taking pins out the back of joiner blocks and putting them back in without damage. I also work quite slowly and methodically. I started at the beginning of the manual and just worked from page to page. Also, one of the great saving graces is that if you buy a unit for the R3, then it comes calibrated for the R3.

Have Fun

That was hilarious! I could have replaced you with me and beer for whiskey as I work the same way. Good we don’t do mechanical for a living!:eek::D

I've posted this before, but I've ridden thousands of miles with the MCCruise and love it. It works exactly as advertised. I've also ridden with every version of throttle lock I could find that fits the R3 and none compare to the MCCruise. If any are interested in comparing I'm planning another 48 state ride for next fall. Should be roughly 10,000 miles or so in 10 days. Would give you the perfect chance to compare your throttle lock to an electronic cruise control

Have Fun

But do they include a case of whiskey? ;):D

Back