is there an after market cruise control

atjurhs

.060 Over
Ride
2017 R3 Roadster
hey guys,

i'd really like to put cruise control on my 2017.

the dealer tells me triumph doesn't make one that's integrated into the bike. he sold me this mechanical one, which is ok, but it drifts, and can be a bit dangerous when needing to reduce speed quickly because you can just pull in the clutch. the engine will rev super high so you have to pull in the clutch AND turn back the throttle. on harleys and gold wings and victorys any control movement will shut off the clutch which far safer.

is there an aftermarket 3rd party cruise control supplier that can integrate one into the bike, or are we stuck with these mechanical jobbies?

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 2
MCCruise is definitely the way to go. I fitted mine myself. Took my time and learnt a lot but some would want a "technician" to fit it, although I would never go anywhere near someone who called themselves a "motorcycle technician".
The characteristics of MCCruise in operation are spot on in maintaining speed, with no run on over the top of hills and great response to up and down hill speed.

I have the brakeaway cruise control on my R3. Easy to install. Very good instructions to follow. You press the button and locks the throttle where you want it, to take it off of cruise, either depress the button or tap on the brake lever and it releases. The only thing I have to say is that you have to ride a few times and make adjustments to the sensitivity of the locking mechanism.

Motorcycle Cruise Control - Home - BrakeAway Products

is there an aftermarket 3rd party cruise control supplier that can integrate one into the bike, or are we stuck with these mechanical jobbies?
You need @Joesmoe to chirp up. I looks to me like a lot of work to fit - and fairly complicated/fiddly in some respects. I would need to be using CC a goodly amount to justify the cost. I use a palm shelf and for 90% of the time it's ideal. Even for the 450km motorway blasts to the ferry - I would hardly sit at one speed for long.

I have been umming and ahrring about something extra for ages.
I think if I moved "up" I would go for the Atlas because it can be easily moved to another bike if I decide I don't like it on the R3.
It does looks a bit agricultural. They have recently improved it a bit. ATLAS Throttle Lock - Universal Motorcycle Cruise Control

The Breakaway looks nice but imo occupies too much grip space. I do not have particularly big hands - but I rode a Harley with one fitted and was conscious of it "being there".

I fitted a Rostra Cruise Control (universal fit for a car) it works great but was a little challenging for the install.

The nice thing about McCruise, is the lead engineer for the project used to work on the Australian F-111 program, and has that philosophy for the cruise control.

It is fully integrated, with illustrated step-by-step instructions in the best traditions of such similar to the Haynes manuals of old that were based on actual disassembly of real vehicles.

So yes, the kit is involved, thanks to all the functions -- there are safety disconnect functions for clutch and brake - there is the speed sensor tapped off the ecu, there is an actuator that must be inserted in line with the throttle cable, there is the user interface, and power, and maybe something else.

On the Rocket, being a mostly open bike, it's straightforward, and it really works.

And @barbagris has a misconception. Just because one has cruise control does NOT mean constant speed. I find myself often bumping the cruise control up and down for whatever. Having the ability to relax one's right hand makes all-day riding possible for me.

And @barbagris has a misconception. Just because one has cruise control does NOT mean constant speed. I find myself often bumping the cruise control up and down for whatever. Having the ability to relax one's right hand makes all-day riding possible for me.
I find I have better control with my built in analogue interfaces. ;) - I have had cruise control - but honestly found my hand or foot reacts faster and smoother than joggling a CC button does. Of course being a control freak and technophobe plays a part.

I have the brakeaway cruise control on my R3. Easy to install. Very good instructions to follow. You press the button and locks the throttle where you want it, to take it off of cruise, either depress the button or tap on the brake lever and it releases. The only thing I have to say is that you have to ride a few times and make adjustments to the sensitivity of the locking mechanism.

Motorcycle Cruise Control - Home - BrakeAway Products
Thanks for sharing this link. I like the quality look and function of this product.

Back