Anyone need a STRONG Battery?

It's really not the CCA that's important but rather the duration of amperage delivered at 32 degrees F, which is the standard at which batteries are measured. You could have 1000 amps available to the starter motor but the windings will only accept whatever the motor is rated at anyway.

An example is a heavy truck. Most times you run 4 batteries in parallel and usually the batteries are at least 600CCA each so you have 2400CCA but the starter will only pull around 1000 amps @ 13.5 volts anyway. The 2400 gives you some reserve because, remember when you crank it, just like the bike, your alternator isn't providing a charge so it's a dead pull against the batteries.

Another example is your house wiring. Suppose you have 200 amp service. That means your main breakers will handle continuous amperage to 200 amps at before they thermally break. If you turn on a 100 watt light bulb, that light bulb is actually looking at 200 amps but the filament will only pass 100 watts or a little less than 1/10th of an amp. The starter motor is exactly the same scenario. That is governed by internal resistance. The only way the light bulb or your starter motor would consume all the available amperage is if there was a short to ground but that's what you have fuses (in your bike) and (in your breaker box) for.

Leave it to the Professor to whittle it down to the basics for us dingy collared workers. But I still can't believe the PC625 has no more than 265 CCA. And with your esplanashun under the hat I'll give the PC625 more thought for any future replacement battery.

According to the Odessey Battery site: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"There is another class of chargers that is designed specifically to maintain the battery in a high state of charge. These chargers, such as the 1.25 amp Battery Tender® from Deltran are not capable of charging a deeply discharged ODYSSEY® battery. This is due to the fact that these chargers have very low output power. They should only be used either to continuously compensate for parasitic losses or to maintain a trickle charge on a fully charged stored battery."[/FONT]

Last edited:
Quote from anothrr captain.

Happy to help here.
I am in the business.
Battery life is a crap shoot.
Don't let any Madison Ave arsehole convince you otherwise in advertisement.
Battery high resistance failures can happen in an instance.
Nothing you can do to bring it back to life.
Just say "good bye" and let it go.
This is especially true for OEM batteries.
Captains with only a year and a half on a OEM battery shouldn't be alarmed.
Just do yourself a favor and replace with any very high quality 18AH minimum MC or PWC battery.
Take care of this new battery and I guarantee at least 3 years...easy!!
If you want the very best battery for your Rocket please investigate the PC625 battery from Odyssey.
It is an expensive battery due to latest dry film electrolyte technology.
Battery cage modifications are necessary but are minor.
Certainly valid testimony regarding what bikertim said about.."getting what you pay for"
Available in OZ I wonder? For less than an arm and a leg ....

Back