Anyone need a STRONG Battery?

What alteration?

What alteration to the battery box?
I thought that you just could not use the tools anymore.

All,

I ordered my Odyssey PC625 battery today from:

http://www.septechnologies.biz/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=87

$84.97 and currently they are offering free shipping. Will take a little alteration of the battery box, but no more "weak" starts.

Mitch

Mitch, you'll need a non-conventional charger. The odyssey as well as the Optima don't like to be trickle charged. However, I'd not get the charger listed on the website. Way too expensive. I'd get a Vector Smart Charger. Some box stores and I believe even Wal-Mart sell them. I have the big Vector (100 amp hi setting) and I'm extremely happy with the way it works.

I'd like to see Optima come out with an AGM to fit the bike. I have had excellent luck with Optima batteries.

You do need to check all your connections, especially the one on the top of the starter that's under the boot. Some electrical grease under the boot and tight connections will go a long way toward improving the electrical flow.

Reply to Glad I Ater

After I get the battery and upon installation, I will describe the mods to the battery box and post pictures...Here is the size compared to the stock battery. The length is ok, but it is a little wider and a little taller.

Battery Length Width Height
Yuasa YXT20L-BS 6.875 3.44 6.125
Odyssey PC625 6.7 3.9 6.89

Mitch

After I get the battery and upon installation, I will describe the mods to the battery box and post pictures...Here is the size compared to the stock battery. The length is ok, but it is a little wider and a little taller.

Battery Length Width Height
Yuasa YXT20L-BS 6.875 3.44 6.125
Odyssey PC625 6.7 3.9 6.89

Mitch

Mitch,

I can tell you what you'll need to do before you receive the battery. Nothing

After you receive the battery, do not unpack it. Ship it back to the vendor. The "modifications" you will need to do to the stock battery box will be to remove it and firgure out another way to hold the battery in your bike. As an alternative, you could "butcher" the existing box by removing two sides but then you would still need to find an alternative method of holding the battery in your bike.

BTW, what is the problem with the OEM battery (really)?

Have to disagree

Usually I let folks have the benefit of the doubt and be entitled to their own opinions, but I appreciate SOME research before they start stating their opinion as fact. Have you installed a PC625? Other have, and a few that have seem to like it. All I was doing was providing information to those that might be considering it so that they could take advantage of what I thought was a good price, and free shipping. The modification to install this battery is minor compared to other mods, and to me, the benefit far outweighs the the effort to make the mod. One's level of ability to make a mod like this should help them decide if it is right for them or not. For me it is.

One such Captain's mod, and where I got my inspiration, is below.

Why do I not like the stock battery? Because in my opinion, and the consensus of many others I have talked to, is it sucks. Six month old and already experiencing dragging starts and inferior performance form the battery, with no electrical additives to speak of.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it because it is what makes this site beneficial, but let others have the same opportunity to voice their experiences and opinions, in a positive manner. Hear others experiences and opinions, then you decide.

Good batterys

Ya know what,with todays Technology finding a replacement battery the right size, that will last 6 yrs. being so hard to find is a bunch of horseseeehitt.You guys are gona have to search better.Iam looking for a battery that will last for six years that cost $35.95 and is a drycell.When you dig one up PM me..Thanks Jack OH and only weights 32 ounces.

Mitch,

I can tell you what you'll need to do before you receive the battery. Nothing

After you receive the battery, do not unpack it. Ship it back to the vendor. The "modifications" you will need to do to the stock battery box will be to remove it and firgure out another way to hold the battery in your bike. As an alternative, you could "butcher" the existing box by removing two sides but then you would still need to find an alternative method of holding the battery in your bike.

BTW, what is the problem with the OEM battery (really)?
Mitch don't tell me your on the orig.battery????

Usually I let folks have the benefit of the doubt and be entitled to their own opinions, but I appreciate SOME research before they start stating their opinion as fact. Have you installed a PC625? Other have, and a few that have seem to like it. All I was doing was providing information to those that might be considering it so that they could take advantage of what I thought was a good price, and free shipping. The modification to install this battery is minor compared to other mods, and to me, the benefit far outweighs the the effort to make the mod. One's level of ability to make a mod like this should help them decide if it is right for them or not. For me it is.

Why do I not like the stock battery? Because in my opinion, and the consensus of many others I have talked to, is it sucks. Six month old and already experiencing dragging starts and inferior performance form the battery, with no electrical additives to speak of.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it because it is what makes this site beneficial, but let others have the same opportunity to voice their experiences and opinions, in a positive manner. Hear others experiences and opinions, then you decide.

Mitch,

My opinon only, as anything I write. People can choose to value my opinion or not. It makes no difference to me.

You listed dimensions for the OEM battery and dimensions for the new battery you ordered. The new battery seems to be significantly larger (length x width) than the OEM battery. Based on that information and the knowledge that the OEM battery is a snug fit in the stock battery box I surmise that you will need to cut up the OEM battery box to make your new battery fit. If that's okay with you, great! My experience with OEM batteries, commonly Yusa (sp?) brand is that I change them after five years. I have never had one fail before that time. I have never had one fail. I change them out at five years because I think that is a pretty good life for a battery and feel it is worth the cost of a replacement to know that I have a new battery.

Furthermore, watching the "mods" that folks do to their Rocket III and also "mods" that I, and others have done to other bikes they have owned I have formed the opinion that a huge number of problems people have with their bikes are self induced. You just don't hear of stock bikes failing thses days, UNLESS, someone has had their hands into it meddling with the manufacturer's design. Again, my opinion. Place whatever value on it that you wish.

And, good luck with the new battery. I hope you find that it is as good as you expect it to be.

When I Install

Thanks, After I get it and install it I'll let you know how it went. The PC625 is a bit wider, but no longer than the stock battery.

Back