I was being very sarcastic. Wait until the general public finds about the new Bonneville's. Harley is so far behind the times.:roll::roll::roll:

One of the USAF MSgts I work with is buying a 750. I won't say he is full on queer as he has just produced a sweet baby girl; but his opinion on cars and bikes is that anyone who buys big is an idiot and is wasting limited resources. (Boy does he dislike Brahma!) He is the most politically liberal of any serviceman I have ever met. He even said that the only reason for going to the 750 over the 500 is that he will at times take his wife and the 500 may not have enough power to take her along. She is short and a former body builder with no noticeable fat anywhere so I would guess she is only an extra 110 pounds or so. Still, I told him the 750 is not really meant to be a 2-up ride. He fired back that he rode 2-up in Korea and Japan on 250s, so he knows what he is talking about. Their speed limits there are slower than here, that's a secondary reason he is going so big on this purchase. I just smile and walk away...

As for the tank, I think it works okay for this application myself. It has that low/slick stance that belies a fast presence at least till it starts rolling.
Boog, you need to introduce him to the Royal Enfield. Even the 350cc bikes are considered big in India, and the 500cc bikes are drooled over. I have seen people riding 6 up on a 100cc bike over there, although not doing highway speeds. The RE will give him history and tradition, and every HD guy I have seen wants to take pictures whenever they see one.

There's a good chance that I'm going to end up with one of these in my garage.

I'm working on getting my girlfriend into riding and since she's only ever been a pillion (and only giving riding her own bike shot because of my urging) all she has to go on when choosing a bike is comfort and style. I know style is utterly irrelevant for a first bike. In all likely hood she'll outgrow her first bike in a year or two. However to her style is very important. So I've been researching good starter bikes and showing her pictures to see what she likes. I'm hoping that by getting her a bike she's attached to, she'll be more enthusiastic about riding and through practice learn what makes for a good (to her) bike.

So far she doesn't like anything that looks 'modern'. She doesn't like the newer Kawasaki Vulcan, any sport bikes, naked, street fighters or ADVs. She is ambivalent to the smaller Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki cruisers. She does like the Streets and the 883s and she also likes Bonneville and the Scrambler Ducs. For some reason I haven't found a Superlow that she has liked.

I took her to the bike shop the other day so she could throw a leg over a few models. I had her try Yamaha and Honda 250s as well as the Scrambler Duc and an 883. She's all of 5ft 2in and, uh, lets say 'stocky' so I was a bit surprised about her feedback. The Scrambler was too tall, naturally, it would probably work with the narrow seat and an aftermarket lowering linkage I've seen, but she wasn't terribly comfortable on it. She said the 250s felt too small and frail which was the big surprise. I thought she'd be more inclined to one of those. The only bike she was comfortable on was the 883.

Now having spent a great deal of time researching starter bikes I know the 883 and the Street have similar ergo profile and by all the reviews I've read the Street is a better handling bike. So when she gets her endorsement and it's time to get her ride, I'm going to take her to the HD dealer and have her try on the Street. If she likes that bike more, that's what we'll get. If she does choose the Street, we'll be buying new since the first run had some major brake issues, a recall for the fuel pump and some issues with the hardware quality that appears to have been addressed in the 2016s. (though I'm honestly hoping she prefers the 883, I can buy a used one of those for cheap!)

If we do end up with the Street, I'm just going to chalk it up as an investment into getting her to ride.

@Rocket Scientist I think the cafe racer cowling does a lot to improve the look of the Street.
My wife is shorter as well. She went with an 883 superlow, after 2 years of riding we have been considering a Fatboy low, but due to a year off riding while she recovered from ovarian cancer, we will keep the 883 for awhile. It is small enough to work as a starter bike, yet big enough that she didn't want to get rid of it after the first year.......the smaller Harleys DO NOT retain their value.

My wife is shorter as well. She went with an 883 superlow, after 2 years of riding we have been considering a Fatboy low, but due to a year off riding while she recovered from ovarian cancer, we will keep the 883 for awhile. It is small enough to work as a starter bike, yet big enough that she didn't want to get rid of it after the first year.......the smaller Harleys DO NOT retain their value.

I've noticed! Really hoping to get 883 since there are plenty of used ones on the market.

I've noticed! Really hoping to get 883 since there are plenty of used ones on the market.
Did minor modifications for her,adjustable windshield, single rider seat,wide footpegs , I switched out the rear signal lights to accommodate the saddle bags for purse and raingear, added the engine guard due to an incident. She is 5'1" and easily is flat footed on it. Oh ya...and put louder slip ons for her.....she was probably more happy with the sound than the other mods I did.
2013-06-18 19.00.49.jpg

Did minor modifications for her,adjustable windshield, single rider seat,wide footpegs , I switched out the rear signal lights to accommodate the saddle bags for purse and raingear, added the engine guard due to an incident. She is 5'1" and easily is flat footed on it. Oh ya...and put louder slip ons for her.....she was probably more happy with the sound than the other mods I did.
2013-06-18 19.00.49.jpg

Good looking sportster!

Back