Another New Touring Owner

When I was looking - two things put me off getting a "T".

1) The pillock of a stealer in Madrid - who thankfully is now bankrupt and no longer allowed near most marques.
2) The ruddy speedo in the tank - It was one of the things that was annoying me with my (then) Softail.

When I was looking - two things put me off getting a "T".

1) The pillock of a stealer in Madrid - who thankfully is now bankrupt and no longer allowed near most marques.
2) The ruddy speedo in the tank - It was one of the things that was annoying me with my (then) Softail.

On 1) Not sure what a pillock or a stealer is but I'm think it must mean an arsehole or a thief. Yes. Good riddance to all of those.

On 2) Agree. I liked having the speedo/tach mounting above the handlebars on my classic Triumphs, my 07 Rocket Classic and my 1988 Electra Glide. However the tank mount speedo is common on many Harley models and metric cruisers.

I've become accustomed to doing the quick glance down at the speedo though on my Rocket though to see if I've reached anywhere near the speed of light.

Last edited:
On 1) Not sure what a pillock or a stealer is but I'm think it must mean an arsehole of a thief. Yes. Good riddance to all of those.

On 2) Agree. I liked having the speedo/tach mounting above the handlebars on my classic Triumphs, my 07 Rocket Classic and my 1988 Electra Glide. However the tank mount speedo is common on many Harley models and metric cruisers.

I've become accustomed to doing the quick glance down at the speedo though on my Rocket though to see if I've reached anywhere near the speed of light.
Yup you hit 1 on the head. They were terrible - but conned most of the marques into being their dealer. My mate makes a reasonable amount from repairing bikes they messed up though poor pre-delivery or other work. Salesmen had no bloody idea and as for the ***wit American (sorry but it's true) in sales admin - jeez. If you are going to lie - at least try to believe it!.

Tank mount speedos are imo simply terrible. If I could find a tidy way to do it - I'd have a HUD GPS speedo on the screen.

Back