Another Avon Problem

Dennsell.
I understand what you're saying as to the cause being extra unleashed ponies rather than a manufactures fault but then, if that be the case then the Avon is already beyond it's limit on a stock bike also.

I don't know what you're getting out of your bike HP/Torque wise but it's not too difficult to achieve the 150 mark on a Rocket without spending a lotta dosh.
Would it be safe to say that is about a 20% increase on Factury spec??

My point being that if I was riding a stock bike with an Avon tyre then the bike is already within 20% of it's fail safe point.
You wouldn't remove the front end and replace it with one from a Sprint and expect it to perform the same.

Personally I wouldn't accept anything less than a 50% safety net on a tyres ability. IE: If it wasn't capable of handling 180HP for an hour of full on abuse then I'd be concerned for it's ability to hold up for 10,000Ks of everyday riding.

I'll get off my box now:soapbox:

I like ya style cobb and I appreciate your points here..:cool:

I was just saying from my personal prospective, for me ..
I would fit Avon's on my rocket again if it was a stocker, I really think they are a good tyre, I never had any problems and they performed extremely well, the odd side slip when theOz roads where wet and greasy but nothing serious.

My opinion in my case, I fitted TOR's, bypass, tripples, PCv+AT and I used a tune map that I had come across that had been dynoed.. I thought let the +AT tidy up the AFR over a few weeks.
So I changed the bikes performace dramatically .. Standard Glyder to Rocket ship not really testing the true performance, hence the Sat ride.

Although I was aware the rear tyre was 80 % worn and I was planing to refit another Avon.. I didn't consider the torque at the wheel rim and the Ugly Distortion I was about to unleash into the tyre wall and tread, not to mention the added weight of Saori loading up the Rear tyre, so I learn a valuable lesson here.

I concluded that from my point of veiw I would have fitted Avons again but because we upgrade the R3 HP to possibly around 150 we should be mindful of what affects we place on other components, especially the Rear Tyres in my case.

Brand Tyre manufactures build tyres to stringent safety standards and Avon would generally be suitable I think on a bog standard R3..
I just feel that we are tuning the rocket3 into a high velocity misile and that we need to fit the correct tyres for this power output, maybe the only tyre capable of handling this power is the Metz by way of performance research and by structural design, but I do know that I only got 6000 out of the Metz and 13000+ out of the Avon not to mention the price's.

Anyway because of my recent experience and I am not at all comfortable fitting a CT I have opted to give the Exedra Max a try.. and for personal preservation issues I will maybe load a more subtle ECU tune and put the TORs into storage. If I was riding solo I would not be concerned and I would stick with the bike as is.. Its Awsome:D

Hope I explained myself here.. JMHO

Response from Avon

Still riding around with my wheel in the back of my truck. Avon reps strongly believe that had I run 38 psi in the front and 46 psi on the rear that I would not have experienced the cracking problem. This is on their website but I followed the frame sticker recommendations.

Decisions decisions:confused:

Still riding around with my wheel in the back of my truck. Avon reps strongly believe that had I run 38 psi in the front and 46 psi on the rear that I would not have experienced the cracking problem. This is on their website but I followed the frame sticker recommendations.

Decisions decisions:confused:

Interesting GF I was told 36 front and 41 rear.

Check the Max pressure on the tyre side wall I seem to remember it says 42psi max, It's a vague recollection so I could be mistaken. But it would help your argument.

Im sure you would have checked the recall serials but here was my last check..
Avon Cobra AV72 240/50R16 84V | Avon Tyres

Cut this thread lose if you wish. After a lot of frustration, I dropped $300 on another METs. I am already sick knowing I won't see 5K miles out of it. Really getting TIREd of playing this game. I don't ride her hard enough to justify this kind of ignorance.

That automatic three wheeler sure looked good at the dealer ship- you know the one.

Why not the car tire, just an uneasy feeling after getting tank slap while it was mounted. Not saying that caused it but you have to wonder. Broke my right hand during the ordeal.

Later

Dennis I think you are missing a very important point Canberra was running a Cobra with similar mods and his biggest problem was not getting grip in the wet, but I think yours was the fantastic mileage you managed, was the tyre down to the wear indicators? because from what you have said I think you may have just gone to far and that is what caused your failure, your mods are unlikely to the culprit, I throw the tyre away as soon as the tyre gets down to the wear indicators "my life is worth more than a few extra km out of a tyre" I think you will find that you bike is only just getting close to the 150hp as Tors etc do not flow like Staintunes with headers or Jars etc. Mitch only just broke the 150 hp with his set up!. The problem is that you were probably a lot thinner than you thought 13+ km out of a tyre is incredible, as far as a car tyre is concerned ..and I am not about to tell you to try one because they are not for everyone, I have done 24 thousand kilometers on them and love them especially for towing but believe me you do not get a square shoulder effect, you have to make a few minor adjustments at walking speeds but over all I have diced with sports bikes up in the hills and they are amazed how the tyre deforms to keep such a large amount of rubber still on the road when I am cranked over and can accelerate so hard out of corners with out wheel spin I used to get out of the Metz when the bike was still stock

in short I am trying to say it ain't the power it is making sure you can get on to the road surface and if your tyre is getting low it will over heat and cause failures, my front Shinko De-Laminated coming back from Phillip island but I have pushed it fairly hard along The Great Ocean Road while I was down there ( I had a fairly traffic free run) and it was getting close to the wear indicators plus the fact that I hit a fairly hard pothole so a failure is always possible, but I don't think you should be blaming the Power

Dennis I think you are missing a very important point Canberra was running a Cobra with similar mods and his biggest problem was not getting grip in the wet, but I think yours was the fantastic mileage you managed, was the tyre down to the wear indicators? because from what you have said I think you may have just gone to far and that is what caused your failure, your mods are unlikely to the culprit, I throw the tyre away as soon as the tyre gets down to the wear indicators "my life is worth more than a few extra km out of a tyre" I think you will find that you bike is only just getting close to the 150hp as Tors etc do not flow like Staintunes with headers or Jars etc. Mitch only just broke the 150 hp with his set up!. The problem is that you were probably a lot thinner than you thought 13+ km out of a tyre is incredible, as far as a car tyre is concerned ..and I am not about to tell you to try one because they are not for everyone, I have done 24 thousand kilometers on them and love them especially for towing but believe me you do not get a square shoulder effect, you have to make a few minor adjustments at walking speeds but over all I have diced with sports bikes up in the hills and they are amazed how the tyre deforms to keep such a large amount of rubber still on the road when I am cranked over and can accelerate so hard out of corners with out wheel spin I used to get out of the Metz when the bike was still stock

in short I am trying to say it ain't the power it is making sure you can get on to the road surface and if your tyre is getting low it will over heat and cause failures, my front Shinko De-Laminated coming back from Phillip island but I have pushed it fairly hard along The Great Ocean Road while I was down there ( I had a fairly traffic free run) and it was getting close to the wear indicators plus the fact that I hit a fairly hard pothole so a failure is always possible, but I don't think you should be blaming the Power

Thank you Hanso the milage, 13000+ was attributed to riding 2 up with Saori and me trying not to do stupid things.. also I only had the GPi ATRE then and keeping the tyre pressures up on a weekly basis helped.. The Cobra wasn't quite on the max wear indicators but it was getting there.

I appreciate you taking the time to go through my story hanso and I wasn't saying the Avon was a bad tyre, infact to the contarary I still believe they are good and I would use them again, If I missed an important point here it would be because I have never upgraded an R3 before or experienced 150hp at the back wheel and my experience taught me an important lesson..
I consider than we where fortunate Hanso as we could have easily become statistics, I value Saori more than the R3 or its performance and I am afraid the CT is a none starter for me mate I will never be convinced sorry.. you will recognise stubborn determination here :D

I guess you are saying it was my fault for running on a worn out tyre and I seem to be talking crap.. and thats fine thats your prerogative..

Anyway each to thier own.. Live and let live as they say :cool:

Thank you I value your points of view, your a good man :)

Back