Airbox removal/ breather access

I wear XL to XXL gloves and I got it on. Took some work and it got the point that I started to try and take the airbox out. After fiddling with that for awhile I said, "let me try some more with it in place" and finally got it. As stated above I had to use a long flathead screwdriver and finagle it, but finally got it on. I have since removed it and cleaned it due to alot of oil buildup and decided to move it further from the crankcase. I reinstalled it with a piece of hose that runs up under the tank where the filter currently resides.
Just takes LOTS of patience, it is definitely TIGHT back there..

I started to remove the airbox, but decided it was too much crap. So I went back to a more direct line of attack. I removed the big rubber connector from the front of the airbox. I pried the stock 'S' hose off the breather nipple, I already had decided to locate the filter to a more accessible location. So I snaked a long length of 15/32" breather hose, with the hose clamp positioned on the hose, down through the front of the airbox. Pushing it down with one hand and coaxing it on the nipple with the blade of a very large screwdriver through the small opening on the right side, I was able to get it on and tighten the hose clamp. I cut off the excess hose, installed a K&N type filter (1/2 the price) and put the filter in my airbox next to the Stock overflow tank which I also placed in the airbox. I added some absorbent gauze to the airbox to pick up whatever condensates. It will be a while before I can check it out, I'm waiting on parts to put mine in the shop - tranny issue. I'm hoping it's the detent spring and nothing more serious, but I don't want to ride it until I get it fixed. I just got it back from Carpenter's and only logged a few hundred miles before the tranny acted up. I don't believe the engine work has anything to do with the trans issue. With 43, 000 miles, it's not unusual to have a detent spring let go. I've got my fingers crossed.

Back