Airbox removal/ breather access

bernard

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
I need to put a filter on the crankcase breather, but I can't even get my hands in there. So I'm trying to remove the airbox for access. After unbolting, the manual says to "manoeuvre" the airbox out of the frame. I'm trying to pull it from the right side, but it's very stubborn. Especially troublesome is the large wiring harness that doesn't want to move. Anyone have success removing the airbox?

I need to put a filter on the crankcase breather, but I can't even get my hands in there. So I'm trying to remove the airbox for access. After unbolting, the manual says to "manoeuvre" the airbox out of the frame. I'm trying to pull it from the right side, but it's very stubborn. Especially troublesome is the large wiring harness that doesn't want to move. Anyone have success removing the airbox?

Hmm, I have normal sized hands and was able to coerce the filter on with a little effort and a long screw driver. - twice

I haven't heard of anyone pulling the airbox to fit it.

Perhaps you can utilize the services of a lady friend or teenager to squeeze in there.

Which filter did you use. One K&N has a larger diameter that will slide on easier.

FYI -
I use my air box for tools. About 7 years ago I plugged the forward oval hole with a wooden block.
I use a foam pad to cover the bottom of the box and have never had any issues or even grime.
I clean or replace the foam pad yearly.

You must have some mighty big paws, I have no problem well it is a wee bit tight but easy enough with normal size mitts.

Did mine awhile back. Everything connected to the box must be removed then remove the battery box frame, then wiggle the box out. Works, but is a pain to remove!

Hmm, I have normal sized hands and was able to coerce the filter on with a little effort and a long screw driver. - twice

Perhaps you can utilize the services of a lady friend or teenager to squeeze in there.

Which filter did you use. One K&N has a larger diameter that will slide on easier.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of a K&N 62-1340 directly to the breather nipple or maybe a 62-1015 attached to a longer hose from the breather nipple so that I can locate the filter in a more accessible spot.

Did mine awhile back. Everything connected to the box must be removed then remove the battery box frame, then wiggle the box out. Works, but is a pain to remove!
Remove the battery box frame! I hadn't tried that yet, but it might be the ticket. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of a K&N 62-1340 directly to the breather nipple or maybe a 62-1015 attached to a longer hose from the breather nipple so that I can locate the filter in a more accessible spot.

Yes, that's the one most people use. 62-1340 has a .625" Diameter
K&N 62-1360 has a .75" Diameter and might slide on easier. I think some have used that one but I couldn't find a reference.
I do like the idea of adding an extension hose to make maintenance easier but I've actually not touched mine in 10 years...
Its tucked away quite nicely but perhaps I should take a peek at it next summer.

I wear XL to XXL gloves and I got it on. Took some work and it got the point that I started to try and take the airbox out. After fiddling with that for awhile I said, "let me try some more with it in place" and finally got it. As stated above I had to use a long flathead screwdriver and finagle it, but finally got it on. I have since removed it and cleaned it due to alot of oil buildup and decided to move it further from the crankcase. I reinstalled it with a piece of hose that runs up under the tank where the filter currently resides.
Just takes LOTS of patience, it is definitely TIGHT back there..

That's one of the reasons I cut the short shelf off the front of the airbox. Now I have a square storage box with plenty of room to get at the back of the engine, plus had room between the engine and box to install an air horn.

Back