Advise on Clutch Update

Got the clutch open and confirmed the old needle bearing type lifter. Everything looks good. Is it a really bad idea to go back in with the original lifter? The updated style is another $300+ investment in a bike that may be sold soon.

Your decision bro. What do your fibers and steels look like? Within spec?

Calipers would be a worthwhile investment, you'll never regret money spent on tools. I'm curious about the pack's condition in order to confirm the reason for the slip

Got the clutch open and confirmed the old needle bearing type lifter. Everything looks good. Is it a really bad idea to go back in with the original lifter? The updated style is another $300+ investment in a bike that may be sold soon.
No its not even Nev stated that. Too bad you didn't know a machinist up there you could them machine the old pressure plate to fit the new roller bearing. I recond if I was going back with the old style assembly I'd order a new needle bearing for it.

1592743438769.png

Let's see if this will continue to work.
Steels and fibers looked good. I suspect that the springs had weakened. I hope this lifter will deal with the strong Barnett pieces.

Silly question but in addition to a new clutch cover gasket, what type of gasket sealant is appropriate to use? The high temp red stuff or the black oil resistant stuff or something else?

First, clean both surfaces with acetone, alcohol, etc. to be nice and clean, then I use either the thin shellac stuff, or the spray on copper coat. Spray both sides of gasket, let dry, then install. I think the silicone stuff is too thick for that application. ;)

Back