Advice on best years to purchase a Rocket iii

Jerry Brink

Standard Bore
Ride
BMW r100rt
Fellow Rocket iii owners,

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger and purchaseing a used Rocket iii.

Can you tell me if there were any years which were more troublesome than others, and thus, should be avoided?

One note, I plan on pulling a KwickCamp camping trailer, 275lbs, and am a little concerned if the bikes driveline, transmission, or clutch is up to pulling a trailer. I hope this is a needless concern.

Any advice is greatly apprecriated....Jerry

2009 Standard. Seems that most if not all "bugs" were ironed out by then. Except the poxy ignition switch being weak - Easy fix - just add relays in the headlamp circuit.

Or given the intended use - you might want to consider a Touring. The latter might make tow hitch mounting easier.Can't help there with years - but I'd have thought 2011 on is a safe bet.

A fair few riders tow habitually - so I think you're safe. Just maintain correctly (overkill is better).

Chris is right 2009 is a good year and since your wanting to pull a trailer you should look at the Classic's with floor boards for more compfort. I would say 2009 and up on the touring if your into the Harley look. The standard/classic modles have the older ecu. Touring and any roadster have the new style ecu. The Roadster moved the pegs 2010 and up so it depends on your riding style. Sounds to me like your into long criuses which my bet floor boards will suit you better.

I have a 2010 Touring, 26,000 miles and no problems, I also tow a trailer.

Back