advice needed on steering in low speed

The Rockets are definitely designed for guys around the 6ft plus ,my R3T fits me like a glove no risers and the reach to the bars is perfect ,however I have seen a few shorter guys riding Rockets without any problems ,its only a issue if they stop on a road with a lot of sideways camber to the left , just wondering do you guys in the US mount your bikes from the left side like us in OZ or on the right side standing out in the traffic flow? just wondering:unsure:

hmm, I lived in US, Japan, Taiwan, NZ, and Canada also rode with local riders in these countries, i have yet to see someone mount the bike from the right. Except for scooter riders in taiwan, I have seen them mount from behind o_Obecause they parked so close too each other.

20130311-144014[1].jpg

Most people I know mount from the left. Though I have seen a couple of people mount from the right.
Seems the left is lower and easier to get on from, plus it's the side we get in our cages from to drive. Would seem if anyone would be more inclined to get on from the right, it would be people who's cages have the steering wheels on the wrong side. :p

hmm, I lived in US, Japan, Taiwan, NZ, and Canada also rode with local riders in these countries, i have yet to see someone mount the bike from the right. Except for scooter riders in taiwan, I have seen them mount from behind o_Obecause they parked so close too each other.

20130311-144014[1].jpg

It was just a thought ,as the roads in left lane driving countries have the road cambered to the left so it stands to reason it would be the same in the US with the right side cambered to the right ,I have parked on the right side of roads and the bike parked with the side stand is almost up right ,but it would make it easier for vertically challenged rider to dismount on this side, Lofty a 6ft 8in mate of mine years ago had a Bridgestone ninety (remember them ) he would just walk up behind his little bike straddle the thing and sit down ,what a sight he looked like a mud crab on a tennis ball:laugh:

...just wondering do you guys in the US mount your bikes from the left side like us in OZ or on the right side standing out in the traffic flow? just wondering:unsure:

I try not to park mine in traffic and I usually mount from the right :D:D

The Rockets are definitely designed for guys around the 6ft plus ,my R3T fits me like a glove no risers and the reach to the bars is perfect ,however I have seen a few shorter guys riding Rockets without any problems ,its only a issue if they stop on a road with a lot of sideways camber to the left , just wondering do you guys in the US mount your bikes from the left side like us in OZ or on the right side standing out in the traffic flow? just wondering:unsure:

I'm tall enough that I tend to mount the bike from whatever side I approach the bike from. I tend to dismount the Rocket to the right, don't know if this was something I always did or if something about the Rocket inspires me to do so. Most guys I know though seem to mount/dismount left like Steel said.

If I didn't mount from the left I would require a step stool.

Slow speed riding and handling require some skill any fool can make a bike go 100mph in a straight line, find an empty parking lot or school parking lot throw some cones down and practise it is the only way to learn slow speed maneuvers .
As long as your feet are flat on the ground at stop with you sitting on the seat you are fine if not the bike is probably a wee bit to big for you, we get guys all the time in our motorcycle classes who say they have been riding for years well yes riding for years in a straight line once they hit the slow speed turns thats when you know who can handle a bike.

You should always mount from the right, squeeze the front brake as you mount(stop the bike from moving)
I use one of the bracelets that you get for donating to cancer research as a parking brake. Gives me way more security when I park on slopes.:thumbsup:
Slow speed riding and handling require some skill any fool can make a bike go 100mph in a straight line, find an empty parking lot or school parking lot throw some cones down and practise it is the only way to learn slow speed maneuvers .
As long as your feet are flat on the ground at stop with you sitting on the seat you are fine if not the bike is probably a wee bit to big for you, we get guys all the time in our motorcycle classes who say they have been riding for years well yes riding for years in a straight line once they hit the slow speed turns thats when you know who can handle a bike.
Came across a guy trying to teach a girl to ride in a shopping center parking lot on a little, banged up Honda. Watched for a while, and when he swapped with her to "show her how it's done" (I'm assuming) He almost dropped it doing a figure 8.:banghead:

I will admit, I pulled a jerk move and did his little course on the R3:whitstling: and told her about the BRC course. I feel like I may have rooster-blocked him.:oops:

Now where is that DON'T LIKE BUTTON :thumbsdown: I'm 5 foot 3 in and my r3 classic fits me like a glove after getting raask adjustable foot pegs to bring to bring the pegs more like the roaster position i think i'm the shortest ass riding a r3 and my mates say i look like a bird on a buffalo , i never had any issues with low speed steering after fitting power steering and retractable training wheels for that purpose :D. But seriously ride it as what it is ,i never really had any issues although i do ride it like a sports bike sometimes with its limitations

Back