advice needed on steering in low speed

bdpq

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket III Roadster
I need some advice on handling this beast from experienced rocket riders...

so I just got my rocket yesterday and took a slow stroll around town. Comparing to my last two bikes (1976 honda GL1000 and 1996 VMAX), I found myself having to "push" the handlebar back to straight when finishing a turn in low speed. in other words, the steering is quite heavy and feeling like I am trying to steer a texas longhorn, but my ego feels just as big. (see figure 1 for illustration)
smart-longhorn-580[1].jpg

I stand only 5'7" and weigh 170 lbs, which make me look like a little kid on the rocket, so a few modification is needed... I have ordered a progressive 430 11.5mm to lower the back and a custom corbin seat to lower the seating height.

Here are my questions...
1. Do I need to lower the front as well? My uneducated guess is that if I lower only the back, would it move the center of gravity backward so the steering is a bit easier for me?

2. Rivco sells a handlebar riser, that "replaces the stock risers and will bring the handlebars up 1” and back 2” - would this help with my ride? I mean, the corbin lowers the seating height, would a raised handlebar further reduce my ability to handle the bike? any one care to share their experience?

3. How about replacing the stock handlebar? has anyone tried a particular handlebar that improves handling the rocket for short riders?

I will greatly appreciate any advice or recommendation~ :)

bdpq

I LOVE my 6 bends. You can get your local machinist to slightly twist your bars to the center. You can actually twist them considerably without cracking the chrome.

Attachments

• 6bends1.jpg
    6bends1.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6bends3.jpg
    6bends3.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 0
Steering would be improved if you lower the front but with a Roadster you have to be very careful about reducing the lean angle too much. At least 2 guys have come to grief because the peg rail touched done in a corner. You could also consider a smaller front tyre. Personally I'm not aware of the need to push the bars back to straight - not sure what you mean at all - but really you shouldn't be comparing a Rocket to other bikes; you just have to get used to riding one.

i agree give it some time and get use to it. give a just a little throttle and it will come right up.
i ride through some sand to get home and that is a work out.

I need some advice on handling this beast from experienced rocket riders...

so I just got my rocket yesterday and took a slow stroll around town. Comparing to my last two bikes (1976 honda GL1000 and 1996 VMAX), I found myself having to "push" the handlebar back to straight when finishing a turn in low speed. in other words, the steering is quite heavy and feeling like I am trying to steer a texas longhorn, but my ego feels just as big. (see figure 1 for illustration)
smart-longhorn-580[1].jpg

I stand only 5'7" and weigh 170 lbs, which make me look like a little kid on the rocket, so a few modification is needed... I have ordered a progressive 430 11.5mm to lower the back and a custom corbin seat to lower the seating height.

Here are my questions...
1. Do I need to lower the front as well? My uneducated guess is that if I lower only the back, would it move the center of gravity backward so the steering is a bit easier for me?

2. Rivco sells a handlebar riser, that "replaces the stock risers and will bring the handlebars up 1” and back 2” - would this help with my ride? I mean, the corbin lowers the seating height, would a raised handlebar further reduce my ability to handle the bike? any one care to share their experience?

3. How about replacing the stock handlebar? has anyone tried a particular handlebar that improves handling the rocket for short riders?

I will greatly appreciate any advice or recommendation~ :)

bdpq
At the risk of being simplistic that sounds like low tyre pressure to me.

first thing I would be checking your front tyre pressure, I found the Triumph recommended 36psi is to low for the Metz also that leads to the next thing the Metzler is a slow steering tyre, in other words it is crap. So the tyre pressure up to 40 - 42psi and soon as possible replace the front tyre with either a Avon Cobra or an Dunlop Elite 3, both come in standard sizes, if on the other hand you are also looking to lower t a bit the Michelin Commander II in a 140/75/17 will both lower the bike and sharpen the steering, just lowering the rear actually slows the steering down by increasing the rake
Very importantly thou what Richard (canberraR3) about the danger of lowering causing a potential disaster is Very True.
Triumph in their "Wisdom (not)" decided to lower the front of the peg rails on the Roadster's so even in their standard height as in the case of the Aussie guy Bruce Aussie when lent over to extreme angles scraped his rail and one day it dug in and spat him and his lovely wife and in the case of 1Olbul he was running a smaller front tyre and same thing happened so be Warned Lowering the Roadster will reduce your lean angles

first thing I would be checking your front tyre pressure, I found the Triumph recommended 36psi is to low for the Metz also that leads to the next thing the Metzler is a slow steering tyre, in other words it is crap. So the tyre pressure up to 40 - 42psi and soon as possible replace the front tyre with either a Avon Cobra or an Dunlop Elite 3, both come in standard sizes, if on the other hand you are also looking to lower t a bit the Michelin Commander II in a 140/75/17 will both lower the bike and sharpen the steering, just lowering the rear actually slows the steering down by increasing the rake
Very importantly thou what Richard (canberraR3) about the danger of lowering causing a potential disaster is Very True.
Triumph in their "Wisdom (not)" decided to lower the front of the peg rails on the Roadster's so even in their standard height as in the case of the Aussie guy Bruce Aussie when lent over to extreme angles scraped his rail and one day it dug in and spat him and his lovely wife and in the case of 1Olbul he was running a smaller front tyre and same thing happened so be Warned Lowering the Roadster will reduce your lean angles

wow thanks, it definitely felt a bit sluggish as if the tire was punctured. I will check the tire pressure now.

Quoted for truth, my R3T was very heavy in the front until I bumped the tire pressure up to 40-42psi. It still feels heavy at slow speeds but is much better than it was at 36psi.

bob

2010 R3R with 1/2" lowered shocks and low Corbin seat and Bridgestone exedra max on the rear, might give you some idea of how it looks.
Also beware of lowering the rear because if the tyre rubs when two up- you can chew out the wiring loom to the rear lights.
DSC_0180.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG

Last edited:
Don't get shorter rear shocks. You will have problems with the tyre hitting the fender, the reduce lean angle, and heavier steering. Use about 41psi in the front tyre. Ride the bike for a few thousand miles before making changes to the geometry so that you can REALLY know what you want to do. This is a big bike and you have to ride with correct counter-steering techniques or you will have problems.

Back