Addressing packages intended for a US address

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Team:

I recently ordered an item from Australia, and it took four weeks to get to me, and is likely a result of a disconnect between AU Post shipping labels and how US Post processes labels.

The package in question showed up in New York, made its way to the Washington airport, over to the northern Virginia processing center and paused. Then it went back to the airport, and back to New York. And paused. Then it went back to the Washington airport, and back to the northern Virginia processing center, and paused. I called in an inquiry at that point, and they said, "We'll get back to you." Meanwhile, the package went back to the airport, and back to New York.
Several days later, it went to a different place in New York, and after several days more, it returned to the Washington airport for the third time, and the northern Virginia processing center for the third time. At that point, someone had gotten the word, and the package made its way to my post office, and was delivered the next day.

At some point, the post office responded to my inquiry with, "The sender put a nonsensical post code." Someone else from the post office called, and said these packages are machine read for 99.999% of them, and there is little they can do to change anything."

When I finally saw the package, sure enough, the "nonsensical post code" was the sender's phone number, and was the most prominent number on the right side of the label, exactly where the AU Post label placed that field, and where US post codes are normally found.

Suggestion for future mailings: write all the sender information small, and in light ink, as high and far left as you can get it. Write the "To" information in obviously larger type/heavier lines and push the entire address to the right side of the label. Try to leave off the phone number, or if you must put one, perhaps write it vertically to the left of the address. And the US post code should be the most obvious number to the bottom right of the address with nothing else below or to the right of it.

I hope that helps.

The sender filled out the AU Post shipping label precisely where the fields are on the label, hence my suggestion of a disconnect.

Does it have pictures?
And a free CD!
You even get to shave down, get an ultra-dark spray tan, dress up in a black tutu and practice dying gracefully to sad music perched en pointe on the edge of a highrise roof. ;):p:D:roll::roll::roll:

6687c0a2d7d7b05a059c06763f65b14b.jpg

Last edited:
Paul - the issue is not what is on the shipping label affixed - ESPECIALLY if the label is Hand Written.

BUT rather the digital information input into the postal system by a human being when the postal service takes responsibility for it. The digital system rules until you prove it has failed.

I get stuff all the time with my name wrong or they send it to another town with a similar name - but 80kms away. And the issue is nearly always due to poor transposition of data from a label to a computer screen by a person. What makes this worse is that sometimes the postal service (esp couriers like FedEx) actually cover up the original label with their own - esp if it has a bar code on.

Notwithstanding - Pretty much all postal systems are geared for internal usage. So depending on data being in one specific spot on an international label for Optical Character Recognition is plain lazy. And anybody who says that OCR reliably works on handwritten text is (shall we say) naive.

Only found one system that seems NEVER to fail. Register an account with the seller and fill in my name and address digitally there. As long as the fields are correctly filled they are machine transposed.

Also - as an aside - the international goods shipping codes applied to certain goods can be challenging. For example it used to be possible to ship "Gun Barrel Blanks" as "Exotic tubes" - one of these will get held up at customs. So many countries no longer accept the other even when they are not barrels.

Fun eh!

Back