ABS Brake Bleed Question

I hav'nt heard of any more problems but it was explained on you tube by a Harley Mechanic. He had to change the ABS valve as it was gunged up and the bike had brake failure. This was around 3 years ago now so it must be sorted now. I have only mentioned this because they seem to have us locked into dealer repairs all of the time. I still cannot get a definite answer for my Hayabusa so i suppose i will be taking it to the dealer next month. I do like to do the work myself providing i know the facts. As i said before, quite often the mechanics seem to mark or scratch something when i put them into the shop. My mates find this also.
Thanks for the feedback... All the best with your Hayabusa! I too have limited knowledge and even fewer specialized tools... I'm working on both though.
-MIG

If Harley claims that the brake fluid or brake components in their models need to be changed every 2 years to prevent catastrophic failure.... I would wonder as to the quality of components and fluids they are using. Do car manufacturers scheduled brake system fluid changes every 2 years... Nope. I think it's hype on their part designed to get you to bring the bike in so they can make a few $$$s. I bleed the fluid every few years just because I can. It's something to do and I notice improved braking every time I do it. As to getting the ABS bled, do what's been already posted. Bleed the system then take the bike for a ride hammering the brakes several times to get the ABS to cycle. Bleed again. Works fine.

Does TuneECU in the Android format allow you to cycle your ABS now?? I know there was talk about getting this working some time ago.
If you Harley riders remember, the motor company used to use dot 5 silicone fluid in all their machines.. Really good fluid but 5 times the cost of Dot 4, so they dropped it.
The bean counters won that battle. Dot 5 didnt attract water, and didnt need replacement very often because of it.. and was safe if it got on your paint.
Only drawback was it as good for racing applications.
Anything to save a buck on a bike..

If you Harley riders remember, the motor company used to use dot 5 silicone fluid in all their machines.. Really good fluid but 5 times the cost of Dot 4, so they dropped it.
The bean counters won that battle. Dot 5 didnt attract water, and didnt need replacement very often because of it.. and was safe if it got on your paint.
Only drawback was it as good for racing applications.
Anything to save a buck on a bike..
Harley do tell you this. It made me think twice about an ABS road king i bought new a couple of years ago and i sold it. I lost a couple of thousand in tax on it too just for the privilege of having it new for 6 months. I went back to my old 2003 Road King (also had it new) and i prefer it. No ABS or bells and whistles on that one and i can fix it myself although it has never missed a beat yet. (except for the cam chain tensioner) It uses Dot 5 brake fluid too. I will never get rid of it now.
The other bikes i have are injection and electronic and it does worry me should they need to go to the dealer for repairs.
We do'nt really need all this electronic stuff. We got on ok 40 years ago without it.

Back