ABS Brake Bleed Question

Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
I know this ABS thing has been covered a few times but i am hoping somebody can give me a definitive answer as i cannot get one.
I run a 2018 Hayabusa ABS bike as well as the Rocket 3 and its now coming up for a Brake Fluid Change. I have looked everywhere and cannot find any specific information on the brake bleed procedure for the Hayabusa abs version. (to bleed ABS valve). I have a manual as well but not the official Suzuki one. I have been told however to bleed them normally. My problem is that as the Triumph Rocket 3 needs a pc program to open the ABS valve and also a Harley Road King ABS i had also needed a pc program to bleed the ABS valve to the point that they said you would get total brake failure if you did not bleed the Harley brakes including the ABS unit every 2 years.
Can anybody on this site who has a Hayabusa ABS bike confirm if you need a pc program or not. I have even failed to find a pc program of any sort for the Haybusa.
My next stop will be the Suzuki main dealer but the trouble is they do not want to tell you much and almost every time i put my bikes into dealers they seem to somehow mark it somewhere or do a bit of minor damage.
I am feeling desperate for information at the moment. The lack of advertising for pc tools for the Suzuki maybe means you do not actually need one.
Hopefully somebody can supply me with a definitive answer please?
Thank you.

Not specific to Suzuki, but I have bleed the following abs bikes the way I would normally bleed brakes, ensuring NO AIR went down either front or rear master cylinder, After first bleed, I ran bikes down my gravel road and activated ABS a few times. I then bled the brakes a second time.
Worked on the following bikes
Harley - 09 FLHP, 08 VRSCAW
BMW - 00 R1100RTP

Not specific to Suzuki, but I have bleed the following abs bikes the way I would normally bleed brakes, ensuring NO AIR went down either front or rear master cylinder, After first bleed, I ran bikes down my gravel road and activated ABS a few times. I then bled the brakes a second time.
Worked on the following bikes
Harley - 09 FLHP, 08 VRSCAW
BMW - 00 R1100RTP
Thankyou.
The Harley i had was a 2018 model and it scared me with what i heard about that model. I think they over complicate them these days.

If Harley claims that the brake fluid or brake components in their models need to be changed every 2 years to prevent catastrophic failure.... I would wonder as to the quality of components and fluids they are using. Do car manufacturers scheduled brake system fluid changes every 2 years... Nope. I think it's hype on their part designed to get you to bring the bike in so they can make a few $$$s. I bleed the fluid every few years just because I can. It's something to do and I notice improved braking every time I do it. As to getting the ABS bled, do what's been already posted. Bleed the system then take the bike for a ride hammering the brakes several times to get the ABS to cycle. Bleed again. Works fine.

Does TuneECU in the Android format allow you to cycle your ABS now?? I know there was talk about getting this working some time ago.

If Harley claims that the brake fluid or brake components in their models need to be changed every 2 years to prevent catastrophic failure.... I would wonder as to the quality of components and fluids they are using. Do car manufacturers scheduled brake system fluid changes every 2 years... Nope. I think it's hype on their part designed to get you to bring the bike in so they can make a few $$$s. I bleed the fluid every few years just because I can. It's something to do and I notice improved braking every time I do it. As to getting the ABS bled, do what's been already posted. Bleed the system then take the bike for a ride hammering the brakes several times to get the ABS to cycle. Bleed again. Works fine.

Does TuneECU in the Android format allow you to cycle your ABS now?? I know there was talk about getting this working some time ago.
I read several threads on the Harley website where the Abs unit had seized up and they had brake failure. They said it was due to lack of brake fluid change.
I think that Tune ECU does allow you to open the ABS valve on the Triumph for bleeding but as i said i have found nothing up to now referring to the Hayabusa ABS or any other ABS except Harley.
You are correct of course, you do not have to keep changing brake fluid with special programs on most cars so is this all a sales thing? It makes you think.

I read several threads on the Harley website where the Abs unit had seized up and they had brake failure. They said it was due to lack of brake fluid change.
I think that Tune ECU does allow you to open the ABS valve on the Triumph for bleeding but as i said i have found nothing up to now referring to the Hayabusa ABS or any other ABS except Harley.
You are correct of course, you do not have to keep changing brake fluid with special programs on most cars so is this all a sales thing? It makes you think.
Tune ECU now has the ABS bleed function. I have used it and it works fine. Prior to this i would bleed as normal then ride and brake to activate abs and then re bleed. If you bleed the system and top up the master without allowing air to enter you will be fine. As the ABS is not active while you are bleeding it will not flush the abs unit if that is what you are trying to do. To flush all fluid including the ABS you will need to cycle the ABS during bleeding this is possible on the R3R using Tune ecu.

I'd like to think my '16 V-Rod is safe...
-MIG
I hav'nt heard of any more problems but it was explained on you tube by a Harley Mechanic. He had to change the ABS valve as it was gunged up and the bike had brake failure. This was around 3 years ago now so it must be sorted now. I have only mentioned this because they seem to have us locked into dealer repairs all of the time. I still cannot get a definite answer for my Hayabusa so i suppose i will be taking it to the dealer next month. I do like to do the work myself providing i know the facts. As i said before, quite often the mechanics seem to mark or scratch something when i put them into the shop. My mates find this also.

Back