4 Days with no power - stupid ice storm

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
I've had no power since Saturday.. the temperatures here are now dropping well below freezing, its minus 13 -13c right now... I had to abandon my house and travel to my sister who does have power. Had to bring the dog and cat with us and share a small room together. This sucks balls.

For all you people telling me "Just go out and ride!" here are some pictures of what are neighborhoods look like. Huge, old trees just come down like tooth picks, making horrible sounds and taking down power lines everywhere.

Please someone go find a nice dry road, on a sunny warm day and think of me.

pjt-icestorm-19.jpg

image.jpg

snow-and-ice-8-637x419.jpg

I feel for you. A few years ago I lost power for a week in the middle of winter. I now have a generator which will run everything in the house except the oven and clothes dryer. It has been used a few times since then, often for 2 or 3 days at a time.

I feel for you. A few years ago I lost power for a week in the middle of winter. I now have a generator which will run everything in the house except the oven and clothes dryer. It has been used a few times since then, often for 2 or 3 days at a time.

What kind of Generator is that. I will need to recommend one for our Land Lord. What size, power output? Im worried about our pipes bursting.

From memory, I can draw about 50 or 60 amps (110volt) continuously. I have oil fired heat so it only has to drive two water pumps and the fuel injector to heat the house, and they don't draw much.

It is a portable generator, but the breakout box has two phases of 110v, or I could set it to 220 if needed. I have the breakout cables in the basement and run extension cords to the required places to power what I need - including the heater. The setup may be a bit redneck, but it works.

I feel your pain, this is Oklahoma today

This is after they cleaned the streets 2 days ago, took the pics this morning on my way to work, still a bunch of people without power

I've had no power since Saturday.. the temperatures here are now dropping well below freezing, its minus 13 -13c right now... I had to abandon my house and travel to my sister who does have power. Had to bring the dog and cat with us and share a small room together. This sucks balls.

For all you people telling me "Just go out and ride!" here are some pictures of what are neighborhoods look like. Huge, old trees just come down like tooth picks, making horrible sounds and taking down power lines everywhere.

Please someone go find a nice dry road, on a sunny warm day and think of me.

We're feeling it as well. My 2 kids have never seen snow so we ventured to the Guelph area.... arrived Sunday to no electricity and no water....Fortunately we had family east of TO that took us in. At least we are warm and clean... and the kids are seeing winter at its best!! Can't wait to get home and be warm. Last ride of the year is 12/30.... better be warm :)

Back