Mine (2012) had similar symptoms. It only felt like that when I was riding it hard though. If I putted around gently it felt fine. I called Bob Carpenter about it because they had just put their 240 kit on it. He said it's pretty common for second gear to have issues on these bikes. I sent it back up to them and they pulled it apart and verified that was the issue. He recommended having second gear undercut -even better still, have them all undercut. So I did. Runs like a champ ever since. Shifts smooth as silk.

Mine (2012) had similar symptoms. It only felt like that when I was riding it hard though. If I putted around gently it felt fine. I called Bob Carpenter about it because they had just put their 240 kit on it. He said it's pretty common for second gear to have issues on these bikes. I sent it back up to them and they pulled it apart and verified that was the issue. He recommended having second gear undercut -even better still, have them all undercut. So I did. Runs like a champ ever since. Shifts smooth as silk.
THATS the solution

Thank you. Can you please tell me what part/parts do i need to order?

No I can't. I didn't do any of the work. Carpenter Racing in NJ, did it for me. I suggest having someone knowledgeable open up your transmission and poke around so you know exactly what the problem is, and go from there.

How much does THAT solution cost?

I don't remember, honestly.. sometimes I spend without thinking. It was in the ballpark of $2k though -that includes shipping my bike up to NJ.

If you can pull and split the motor its probably about a grand to do the transmission. 750 plus shipping to Robinson's ( I'd send it with the old gears as the undercutting might remove the rounded dogs if not then you can order whats needed. Also have them install their new Billet 4th gear included in the 750 cost.) Then its just a few gaskets ans fluids and your down the road. Of course this is if your mechanically inclinded. If not then your paying someone say like carpenter racing to do the wrenching for you. Thats not a bad thing if you can afford it . The good thing especially if you have a modified motor is you can split the motor without losing the cam timming. This is great news for guys with say a carpenter kitted motor or one with the Neville Lush goodies.

In the last year I've consulted with 4 guys doing their transmission's and only one of the 4 was a motorcycle mechanic. He has just started his. But the others are riding theirs and probably reading this thread. And any other thread labled tramsmission now that they are the newly experienced Rocket Scientist.

Last edited:
Back