UNIVEGA

Standard Bore
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 R
Ridden 500+ lovely miles and bike booked for 1st service in 3 weeks.
Went for a quick run at the weekend, approx. 50 miles and when i got home noticed oil on the final drive casting.
On closer inspection it seems that at some point during the ride oil has vented out of the final drive relief valve.
Prior to last weekends run, about a week previous, I had done 200+ miles with a 30 min breakfast stop and no issues then.
The most common reason for this seems to be overfilling but if that was the case surely it would of happened before now?
Bike is booked in with the dealer to investigate but it is bugging me. Anyone have any thoughts on what may be the cause?
Thanks.
IMG_3610.JPEG

I am looking at the pic with my phone so not very good.
If that gear oil looks like a milk shake then it has water in there and when it get hot it will come out of the went.
If that is the case u will need to change the fluid a couple of times.
As i recall this happen to another guy.

I am looking at the pic with my phone so not very good.
If that gear oil looks like a milk shake then it has water in there and when it get hot it will come out of the went.
If that is the case u will need to change the fluid a couple of times.
As i recall this happen to another guy.
Thank you for your response, I had checked out earlier threads and seen as you mention but this oil is pure.
Bike hasn't seen a drop of water yet. Dry rides only and a quick dust / polish đź‘Ť

Good morning,
A quick way to check If gear oil is over full. With bike level straight up with gear oil warm remove fill plug on side below the vent.
if the oil level is to high, excess oil will drain out unti level is at or below the fill plug. (Correct level)
My 2020 R3r, now with 330-miles on it. Was 16oz over full on engine oil level.
These fluids, I think are added/ topped off during dealer prep.
I read the manual, it wasn’t until the great feedback on this forum. That I pulled out 16oz of oil. 1/2 quart over full, would of been alot if it wasn’t for the dry sump.
I had a great sales experience at the dealer. BUT- These motorcycle mechanics work on several brands.
With something on two wheels, running down the road at highway speeds, I don’t trust anyone wrenching on my bike.
After the 600mile break-in service. I will go over everything performed at the dealership.
I will never go back to the dealership for Maintenance, good maintenance documentation record’s, is the only requirement for claiming warranty work.......
Again thank you all , for the great resources on the r3owners.net

Good morning,
A quick way to check If gear oil is over full. With bike level straight up with gear oil warm remove fill plug on side below the vent.
if the oil level is to high, excess oil will drain out unti level is at or below the fill plug. (Correct level)
My 2020 R3r, now with 330-miles on it. Was 16oz over full on engine oil level.
These fluids, I think are added/ topped off during dealer prep.
I read the manual, it wasn’t until the great feedback on this forum. That I pulled out 16oz of oil. 1/2 quart over full, would of been alot if it wasn’t for the dry sump.
I had a great sales experience at the dealer. BUT- These motorcycle mechanics work on several brands.
With something on two wheels, running down the road at highway speeds, I don’t trust anyone wrenching on my bike.
After the 600mile break-in service. I will go over everything performed at the dealership.
I will never go back to the dealership for Maintenance, good maintenance documentation record’s, is the only requirement for claiming warranty work.......
Again thank you all , for the great resources on the r3owners.net

with a lot of oil over fill it will go into the air filter
16oz probably not?

Ridden 500+ lovely miles and bike booked for 1st service in 3 weeks.
Went for a quick run at the weekend, approx. 50 miles and when i got home noticed oil on the final drive casting.
On closer inspection it seems that at some point during the ride oil has vented out of the final drive relief valve.
Prior to last weekends run, about a week previous, I had done 200+ miles with a 30 min breakfast stop and no issues then.
The most common reason for this seems to be overfilling but if that was the case surely it would of happened before now?
Bike is booked in with the dealer to investigate but it is bugging me. Anyone have any thoughts on what may be the cause?
Thanks.
IMG_3610.JPEG
HI , My rocket 3 GT is doing the same , what was the outcome at the dealer ???

Back