2018 rocket Ecu tune factory block

Alistair

Standard Bore
Ride
2018 rocket
Hi all I’m advised that if I try and change the tune on 2018 rocket then the ecu will lockup and will need to be sent back to the Uk to be unlocked. I want to fit my new pipes but hesitant until I get this risk sorted. Any ideas?

seems strange to me...as the 2018 is the same bike as the 14,15,16,17.....just assembled and sold later.
I have had a 14 and a 16 and had the tunes changed on both.
Wait for some tuneecu guru to give you solid advice to be safe....He will be along no doubt..

seems strange to me...as the 2018 is the same bike as the 14,15,16,17.....just assembled and sold later.
I have had a 14 and a 16 and had the tunes changed on both.
Wait for some tuneecu guru to give you solid advice to be safe....He will be along no doubt..

I agree with your statement. Never heard of this issue. I have 16' and had no problems with the ECU tune updates.

Alistair - who provided this advice to you? Dealer, other random person?

I had to buy a new ECU for my 2014 Roadster and it was locked from the factory. The dealer had to get the correct code from Triumph off his dealer net before he could download the tune. He was very careful to enter the correct code as he said after three tries the ECU would lock and have to be sent back to Triumph for unlock. Once the ECU is unlocked, you could then change tunes as required. The part number (T299300) is the same for mine and your year model ECUs so I think whoever told you that may be slightly confused. You could call the dealer and ask if he could download a TOR tune in your year model bike. If the answer is "yes", then the ECU is unlocked and can be reloaded with different tunes.

Yeah it was around March 2013 Triumph changed over to sending bikes and spare ECUs to dealers with no tune on them, and they were "locked".
The idea was to help prevent theft.

Dealers (and cowboys such as yours truly) have the Triumph software & cable, oh yes and a list of passwords, one for each bike model, they connect up, "unlock" the ECU and load the tune. Or calibration as they call it.

I don't believe there is a way of re-locking them, so once it has a map on it, you can remap it.
However one caveat is that there is a link from ECU to the clocks (on Roadsters at least, where it is a CAN system).

Once the ECU is "unlocked" via the Triumph software, you can remap it again and again with TuneECU, TuneBoy, or whatever spurious map editing software that is compatible with these ECUs.

New ECU (locked);

upload_2020-2-6_17-49-24.png

Unlocked and remapped 18 times;

upload_2020-2-6_17-50-53.png

Last edited:
I agree with your statement. Never heard of this issue. I have 16' and had no problems with the ECU tune updates.

Alistair - who provided this advice to you? Dealer, other random person?
Local dealer technician. Reading the other great responses below I’ll give it a crack

Yeah it was around March 2013 Triumph changed over to sending bikes and spare ECUs to dealers with no tune on them, and they were "locked".

Dealers (and cowboys such as yours truly) have the Triumph software & cable, oh yes and a list of passwords, one for each bike model, they connect up, "unlock" the ECU and load the tune. Or calibration as they call it.

I don't believe there is a way of re-locking them, so once it has a map on it, you can remap it.
However one caveat is that there is a link from ECU to the clocks (on Roadsters at least, where it is a CAN system).

Once the ECU is "unlocked" via the Triumph software, you can remap it again and again with TuneECU, TuneBoy, or whatever spurious map editing software that is compatible with these ECUs.

New ECU (locked);

Thanks for this

I had to buy a new ECU for my 2014 Roadster and it was locked from the factory. The dealer had to get the correct code from Triumph off his dealer net before he could download the tune. He was very careful to enter the correct code as he said after three tries the ECU would lock and have to be sent back to Triumph for unlock. Once the ECU is unlocked, you could then change tunes as required. The part number (T299300) is the same for mine and your year model ECUs so I think whoever told you that may be slightly confused. You could call the dealer and ask if he could download a TOR tune in your year model bike. If the answer is "yes", then the ECU is unlocked and can be reloaded with different tunes.

Thanks

New ECU (locked);

great info thnx

Back