2013 popping out of gear

rocketbill

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Bought a used 2013 r3 touring in august and have put 2,100 miles on it and am enjoying the bike. Today going to work it started popping out of gear. Made it home from work tonight but must of happened a dozen times. Parked in the garage now until I can get it into the shop. Bike has 34,400 miles. Feels like I am shifting down more to get into first also. Then the neutral light wont light up at times. Was reading on the site about a detent spring, I dont know.

after reading some very good information on this site I think I will fix the bike myself. Need to order a detent spring, gasket, and probable a clutch basket removal tool. Then will give it a whirl. Will post pics as I go along but may be a week or two before I start.

after reading some very good information on this site I think I will fix the bike myself. Need to order a detent spring, gasket, and probable a clutch basket removal tool. Then will give it a whirl. Will post pics as I go along but may be a week or two before I start.
Glad to see that you will tackle this repair yourself. It's not difficult, just a pain in the hind quarter and a little difficult lining up the front cover and clutch lifter piece during re-assembly. You will be saving a wheel barrow full of cash that way.
Don't take me wrong, having the right tool for the job is always the right way to go but I didn't get the clutch basket removal tool when I did mine. I was able to loosen the clutch basket nut by having the bike in gear and holding the rear brake pedal down. Reassembly was the same procedure.
Just take your time with it.
But hurry up!

Just looking at it would it be possible to do this with the bike parked on the ground and not removing the front wheel and fender? Or just make it that much harder to do? Ordered my gasket and spring today.

Just looking at it would it be possible to do this with the bike parked on the ground and not removing the front wheel and fender? Or just make it that much harder to do? Ordered my gasket and spring today.
Just read idk write up on how to do the repair and question answered, Thank you very much.

A couple questions if someone could help me. Opened the front case up and found a broken spring sitting right in the bottom of the case but also another spring that was not broken? If I buy an impact wrench will that work without a clutch basket tool? Also I thought someone said that to get the clutch basket nut off is it right to loosen? Having a hard time getting that indentation out of the metal to get the nut off. Just a backyard mechanic obviously but I am getting it done, just slowly. Think I need a water pump gasket also mine was looking a little rough. I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 41
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 42
  • thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 42
I was also expecting a lot of oil when I took the front cover off of the bike but very little came out, I guess it is all in the bottom of the engine.

Back