2008 R1200GS Adventure Loaner Report

I have the Yamaha Super Tenere'. As it is said it is 'all the GS without the BS'. Plus you get to save about 8K too. Sorry, but the GS is overpriced and overrated. Be happy you rode it and don't own it. Breakdowns and criminal parts pricing will get you cured of your GS Envy real quick. I owned 3 BMW's. Still have one. I know.

Form follows function. The GS will take you places the Rocket will only see in pictures. Funny you never hear folks talk about how ugly Jeeps are. I've never given any consideration to how a bike looks. Guess if I had I'd have owned a bunch of Harleys.
I dont know where the BMW is going to go that a Rocket cant go The Rocket goes anywhere and everywhere I want io go. If I want to go off road Iwouldnt ride that BMW

I consider myself a pretty lucky guy...my rocket shares the stable with a 2015 triumph explorer XC. I've never had the opertunity to take the GS for a spin but I love my explorer. I will say, living in a place where pavement meets mud the explorer is a blast. Two different machines in my humble opinion. Each has its place on the road and off. I've taken that explorer paces I would never consider visiting with my Rocket. All in all....just being on two wheels makes me grin.
Cheers

The GS is not a dirt bike. Its not a trials bike. Try riding your 125cc dirt bike several hundred miles on the Interstate before you get to the dirt. There are plenty of videos out there of guys doing some pretty impressive riding on those big pigs. Remember, its the Indian, not the arrow.
Oh, and tires can be changed.

Not sure of tire brand on the BMW. The tires appear to have been siped for wet traction. I did not know they did that on bike tires.
I liked the review. Folks that have BMW motorcycles that I have heard from said parts and repair can be plenty pricy. But I expect none of it is cheap.
It would be nice to have a second bike. I did have two once for a year some odd. But I normally gravitated to the Goldwing over the Concours.

Back