20 Cent Fix For Loose OE Mirrors

Drmatt357

.020 Over
Ride
2016 Roadster
I know a lot of you guys don't like the OE mirrors but I actually do. I can see behind me with them VS just looking at my elbows like my prior sport/sport touring bikes. My particular problem was not that the mirror head was loose but it was the entire shaft would rotate in the base. I would tighten the screw but anything over 45-50MPH and they would twist in.

Well upon further investigation, I realized the screw was bottoming out in the stem of the shaft. It couldn't engage the compression bearing or even the spring washer.

So I went to Depot and picked up a couple of M10 flat "metric" washers and put them in as shown.

Voila!! Solid as a rock. Been tested well past the ton and no movement.:thumbsup:

IMG_5181.jpeg
IMG_5180.jpeg

Last edited:
Now you tell us after I removed my OE's and put Harley mirrors on my bike. :( Besides the problems you mentioned, moving inward at speed, etc., mine also had severe distortion in the glass, everything was wavy like you'd see in fun house mirrors. So, even your clever fix would not have fixed that, sorry to say.

The Harley mirrors are crystal clear but do sit down several inches lower than the OE's and you do see your elbows but the field of view is wider than OE's and big improvement overall for me.

Last edited:
Triumph OEM mirrors are designed to be retained by that corrugated bushing. The shouldered bolt isn't really meant to be compressed against the mirror housing because it can loosen if you twist the mirror counter clockwise (unless you place some mild Loctite on threads). For me I shoved an O ring on the end of the mirror which when compressed held everything firmly in place allowing the mirror to be moved without loosening the bolt. You could re-bend the bushing to increase resistance also.

Back