2 tire options, which one

Have you tried the me888 marathon ultra specifically? Just curious
I can answer YES; I have ridden on both tires (the Avon Chrome Cobra and the Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra).

I have tried specifically the Metzeler ME888 Ultra on my 2014 Rocket III Roadster AND my 2020 Rocket 3 GT. On the Roadster it was a far superior tire than the previous version ME 880, great handling, control, and tread life.

I'm about 8000km into the ME888 on my Rocket 3 GT (with the bike parked for the winter), road it in heavy (and I mean torrential) rain without any issues whatsoever, rough roads, tough roads, twisties and highways. No issues.

Chacun Son Gout! (To each his own as the French say).

Ok it’s officially time to get the new tires. Last chance for anyone to weigh in. Metzeler me888 marathon ultra vs Avon cobra chrome’s? 70% highway, 10% twisties, 20% in town. When in the mountains I do like to hit the curves. Not to the foot pegs hard (very often) but fairly aggressive

I can answer YES; I have ridden on both tires (the Avon Chrome Cobra and the Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra).

I have tried specifically the Metzeler ME888 Ultra on my 2014 Rocket III Roadster AND my 2020 Rocket 3 GT. On the Roadster it was a far superior tire than the previous version ME 880, great handling, control, and tread life.

I'm about 8000km into the ME888 on my Rocket 3 GT (with the bike parked for the winter), road it in heavy (and I mean torrential) rain without any issues whatsoever, rough roads, tough roads, twisties and highways. No issues.

Chacun Son Gout! (To each his own as the French say).
How do you feel about the me888’s in the twisties and at launch? Any noticeable slip compared to the cobra’s?

That’s way I’m leaning. Just 7k out of a tire isn’t great. $900 every spring adds up.
That is the price of being sticky... soft... gets eat quickly.. still remember track days with sport bikes and even sticker tires... you eat them in a weekend of fun...
For duration, car tires... but you may as well get a train engine...

I got about 20kms out of the first set of Avons, then I put the Metz 888 on, however the front was faulty and I changed it back to an Avon. Now I have 33kms on the bike, still plenty of meat left on both tires, but I going with Avons fully from now on. The rear Metz stepped out on me twice on one rainy spin and I don't think the Avon would have in the same situation.

No w
If you're only riding 10% on the backroads you should get at least 10K out of the Avon's. The guys that get 5K to 8K are aggressive to very aggressive riders. You should be fine. I'm an in between rider now and find myself less hotdog and more bun. 👨‍🦼No way I can get 10k out of the Avons. I have 6200 on them now and am real close to the west strip. Thinking maybe 7k.
Close

Back