12 volt power outlet???

theBarzeen

.060 Over
I was just about to order a plug with a cigarette outlet on one end and battery tender leads on the other ( that fit to the leads already on the bike for the tender) and I got a little worried.....

I'm hoping to run 12 volt power for my GPS ( a car type zumo) that I keep in my tank bag's map pocket.

I've seen the Triumph powerlet deal, from which I would just use an adapter cable to the cigarette outlet type plug for the GPS, but this option costs way more than the $15 plug, and is more labor intensive to set up.

Will I harm my battery at all by plugging a GPS right to it via the battery tender leads? I'm only planning on using it when the bike is running.

Is there a better place to draw power from that wouldn't require me spending 2 hours cursing at my motorcycle in the cold to get to???

Any help is greatly appreciated

I don't think using the plug into the battery tender will hurt a thing. I put a cigarrette lighter plug adapter into the left hand plastic cover where the ignition relocation goes and drilled the hole out larger for the plug and hooked it directly to the battery.

Native One

should be fine, can actually buy a cheap cig lighter socket that fits..

Or like you said wire it direct.... for your GPS as long as you are using the correct transformer you shoudl be fine ( in other words DO NOT just cutthe wire and splice direct)

I have wired a waterproof power socket direct to battery before and left it under the seat for chargeing cell phone/ power to XM radio etc...

I have my Garmin hardwired to the battery and regularly plug an Optimate 3 battery charger into the Triumph 12v outlet - no problems in 2 yrs of use. I sometimes leave the Garmin powered on during stops of less than an hour (mainly because the 4gb chip w/music library seriously delays the Garmin's startup time) and I've never had a problem starting. I'd vote for a hardwired installation (be sure to leave the fuse in the circuit) and just be disciplined to turn the unit off or conect the charger each time. IMHO :)

I bought a 12 volt cig lighter plug from West Marine (heavy duty w/ a plastic cover) and it slides right in between the gauges nice and tight. You must put in an in-line fuse if you go directly to the battery, probably a 20 amp would be OK. The Zumo uses very low voltage.

just added one today went to the auto parts store got the lighter this one came with a black rubber cap, I widened the hole and ran the leads and its done in the end 4$ plan to use it to power the sat radio as soon as my speakers come in

You'll be fine ... get any random cigarette lighter, get an inline fuse holder, and install the fuse into the POSITIVE lead. I'd suggest a 10A or 12A fuse. You could even drop to 5A and see if it holds the load ok, especially where you are only using your GPS.

I hard wired to the yellow wire in the harness next to the battery in the left cover...turns off when i turn the key off. my garmin asks me do i want to run on the garmin battery. so i have it both ways...

I have one of these:

1423.jpg

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Ho ... /IMID/1054

Back