Wrinkle finish engine paint any good?

Hipporider

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3, 2010 R3R
I am thinking of spraying a few items on the bike with VHT engine paint black wrinkle finish, then baking said items.Any members had any negative experiences or tips to offer?

hipporider said:
I am thinking of spraying a few items on the bike with VHT engine paint black wrinkle finish, then baking said items.Any members had any negative experiences or tips to offer?

I haven't used wrinkle-finish paint since the 1970s. As I recall, it does a great job on surfaces that are not subject to extreme heat, such as manifolds, engine blocks, and exhaust systems. You need to follow instructions very carefully. It helps to spray in alternate cross-patterns (eg. up and down in the first coat, then at 90-degrees from the first pattern during the second coat). Spray liberally, but not enough to make the paint run. Then bake it in you oven. I think the low setting would be hot enough, but check the instructions carefully. The kitchen will smell bad for days, but the finish will look great! Just drink plenty of beer and you won't smell anything. :twisted:

Thanks for the tip Addicted,guess i had better find an oven cos I am not using my new oven for that toxic stuff.
I am guessing its reasonably resistant to stone chips. :?
Powder coating could be another idea, though you cant get that texture.

Back