markc

Buckkwheat
Ride
07 r3 classic
Is it necessary to go thru all the steps listed in the owners handbook on page 97 for winter storage. I'm able to store my bike in a heated bldg. all winter long. Will starting the bike weekly be enough?

Markc

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to use a battery tender and add some fuel stabilizer. And don't forget to run the bike for a bit after adding the stabilizer.

Is it necessary to go thru all the steps listed in the owners handbook on page 97 for winter storage. I'm able to store my bike in a heated bldg. all winter long. Will starting the bike weekly be enough? Markc

My garage is pretty well insulated so it never gets below about 40. I keep it on a battery tender. My dealer said to start it every 2 weeks and it fires right up. Generally I drive it in the winter if the streets are dry.

Not me.

Is a battery tender like a chicken tender or a tenderoni?

My bikes stay in the shop. I keep the shop above freezing (around 45) when I'm not out there because the machines have liquid coolant so that can't freeze. My Lincoln gas driven welder is in there as is the gas drived diesel fired pressure washer. The farm tractors and equipment are in the other bay next door. I've never used a trickle charger and I never use gas stabilizer. I just start the bikes up every 2 weeks and warm them up. I make sure the gas tanks are full when I put them in for the cold weather. The only equipment that gets stabilizer is the zero turn, the push mower and the Troy-Bilt in the tractor bay. I'm a little leery of gas stabilizer. A few years ago there was a rash of gummed up carburetors on snowmobiles that had Stabil in them over the summer...remember, summer is winter for a sled. I don't want to think about gumming up those Kehin injector bodies or injectors.

A few years ago I bought one of those fancy computer controlled chargers with the pulse de-sulfation cycle on it. I've used it on the tractors a few times but neither bike has ever seen any charger trickle or otherwise and the battery in the T100 is OEM and it's an '03.

I know, now that I said that, the batteries will both puke this winter. If they do, they will both be replaced by Hawker's. If I could get Optima's in that size I'd prefer them but the Hawker is an AGM too.

Triumph alternators have a nice habit of putting out almost maximum amperage/wattage at just above an idle so warming up can be just an idle and plenty of juice is going to the battery.

As Pig9r said, a fuel stabilizer is a good preventative measure. A gummed up fuel system from stale gasoline can be a nightmare next riding season. Be sure to follow the directions on proper mixing; and do run the bike for a little while to insure the stabilized fuel is throughout the system. And storing with old oil is not a good idea.

I use PRI-G http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_11052_PRIG_for_all_Gasolines.html for all my yard machines and in the emergency generator. And it's in all my reserve gasoline all year long.

Last edited:
Battery tender and make sure the bike tires are on carpets or spare car floor mats you may have... I would NOT recommend starting the engine every week or two and then shutting it off after a short while... Not good for this type of engine...

Mike...

Good point there mike. Starting it up and running it at least until the cooling fan comes on would be best. IAW top dog mech. at VTP of CHA. or is it TVP or PVT. Why carpet?

Back