Winter storage fuel purge

JackMcCornack

.020 Over
Ride
2004 Triumph Rocket III
I need to leave my Rocket III in the Pacific Northwest 'till spring. I have less than a gallon in the tank. Last time I stored it was more than a decade, and I had to replace the fuel pump and have the fuel injector nozzles cleaned. I think I can empty the tank (pull the fuel line off the tank, put the tank on a drain pan, let it pump until it stops) but how do I get the fuel out of the fuel lines and injectors?

As an alternative, is there perhaps a better liquid that gasoline for six-month storage?

I need to leave my Rocket III in the Pacific Northwest 'till spring. I have less than a gallon in the tank. Last time I stored it was more than a decade, and I had to replace the fuel pump and have the fuel injector nozzles cleaned. I think I can empty the tank (pull the fuel line off the tank, put the tank on a drain pan, let it pump until it stops) but how do I get the fuel out of the fuel lines and injectors?

As an alternative, is there perhaps a better liquid that gasoline for six-month storage?
After you pull the tank off the fuel line and fuel rail will still be there. A couple bolts and pull the rail and each injector has a retention clip you just slide off and remove the injectors.

I live in Massachusetts, so my bike is stored pretty much November through April. I fill the tank, add Stabil, run it for 5+ minutes, park it and pull the battery. That’s all I do, never had any issues.

I fill the tank with Shell premium fuel (advertised as not having ethanol in it), add a fuel stabilizer (for peace of mind but probably not needed) and park the bike in an unheated shed with a battery tender hooked up. Been doing this with my bikes since 2007 with nary a problem (carbed or fuel injected) starting them up after months in storage. Mine is parked now and won't come out until next April (unless the border to the States opens up). I had planned on heading down to the Hudson area of Florida this January for a few months but that isn't going to happen this year....

PS - It a balmy -18C or 0F this am.....

I fill the tank with Shell premium fuel (advertised as not having ethanol in it), add a fuel stabilizer (for peace of mind but probably not needed) and park the bike in an unheated shed with a battery tender hooked up. Been doing this with my bikes since 2007 with nary a problem (carbed or fuel injected) starting them up after months in storage. Mine is parked now and won't come out until next April (unless the border to the States opens up). I had planned on heading down to the Hudson area of Florida this January for a few months but that isn't going to happen this year....

PS - It a balmy -18C or 0F this am.....

I swear by the stabilizer. Non ethanol gas degrades (oxidizes) in the 3-4 month range. Ethanol gas degrades faster, around 2-3 months. The stabilizer will prevent or delay the oxidation.

I swear by the stabilizer. Non ethanol gas degrades (oxidizes) in the 3-4 month range. Ethanol gas degrades faster, around 2-3 months. The stabilizer will prevent or delay the oxidation.
I store my bikes for 4 months+ every year and use Lucas Fuel Stabiliser with a full tank of fuel.. I never had any trouble yet but here in the UK our fuel is now E5 and next year they are threatening E10 fuel. I am just hoping the fuel stabiliser will still keep the fuel ok. I have now done the same again and have filled the tank to the top.

Filling the tank completely to the top and using double the amount of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer will keep your fuel fresh for over a year. Try to find
good fuel with NO alcohol. If u cant, Sta-Bil makes an alcohol version as well.. Its the oxygen in the air that causes fuel to deteriorate.
Drive the bike at least 5 miles to get the mixture everywhere in the injector system before storing it.. Trying to get all the fuel out of a bike internals
is tough... Been doing this for the last 25 years and it always works.

What about the 4 cycle Tru-Fuel sold at Lowes and Home Depot? Expensive at $19.98 per .85 gallon but is ethanol free, contains stabilizer and is rated at 92 Octane? Expensive, but a lot cheaper (and a lot less frustration) than having to tear down a whole fuel system to find a problem when the riding season returns.

Wow. I ride Oklahoma year round never stored a bike. Good Info anyhow. Do have a bad habit of tearing one of the two down during winter months.

Back