CADFather

Supercharged
Ok, I'm in need of a windscreen for my rocket. I like the idea of the Clearview screens, but I need to know if I need a triumph windshield to make the clearview work. Also has anyone had any success with mounting a Memphis Fats windshield on a Rocket? They do not list one as a direct fit. I am pretty sure that the front end fixing kit is a definate for the clearview, but buying the triumph windshield for the mounting hardware is not going to happen not on my budget.

No option

Ok, I'm in need of a windscreen for my rocket. I like the idea of the Clearview screens, but I need to know if I need a triumph windshield to make the clearview work. Also has anyone had any success with mounting a Memphis Fats windshield on a Rocket? They do not list one as a direct fit. I am pretty sure that the front end fixing kit is a definate for the clearview, but buying the triumph windshield for the mounting hardware is not going to happen not on my budget.

That's the only way, other than finding a wrecked R3 and buying the hardware that you are going to get a clearview screen. That's how they get around the aftermarket deal. All Triumph windshields are made by National Cycle under Triumph license. National cycle has a website and markets quite a few windshields including the Plexifaring but you won't find any Triumph screens on their website. I had a failure on the summer screen on my T100, contacted National Cycle (their logo, DOT certification and serial number is heat branded into every windshield and was told to take it up with the dealer. I've since bought a Clearview for that bike, minus hardware which I already possess. As far as I know, no Memphis shade will fit though you may be able to cobble something up. My brother-in-law, Bart has another windshield on his R3 but I can't recall the name of it but maybe some other Captain can. Bottom line is that for a clearview you need the hardware and it has to be the 5 fastener cross bar (I forgot to mention that).

Time to quit taking a lunch to work or give up a bad habit and save your pennies. One way or another you are going to have to pony up some cash.:D

I guess I could just skip paying the hospital bills for a week, that should be enough cash. I mean with 1.5 million to pay whats another week gonna matter? Of course I am an AutoCAD operator/design engineer I could always work something up and fire up the milling machine and get to it I guess.

I guess I could just skip paying the hospital bills for a week, that should be enough cash. I mean with 1.5 million to pay whats another week gonna matter? Of course I am an AutoCAD operator/design engineer I could always work something up and fire up the milling machine and get to it I guess.

As long as you can mill optically correct polycarbonate or Lexan. You could hot knife a sheet of polycarbonate and heat form it over a 150 gallon truck aluminum fuel tank. Form dress a surface grinding wheel with a radius dresser, remove the wheel and put it on a bench grinder and radius the edges but you'll still have to come up with hardware though a few Witeck clamps and some 3/16" 6016T3 aluminum rod bent to the proper angles will suffice. Any milling on Lexan or polycarbonate has to be done with Solid MicroGrain Carbide tooling because of the chemical composition of the material. Be sure to watch your speeds and feeds so you don't melt the material.:D

Seriuosly, I've made many snowmobile windshields from polycarbonate sheets using the hot knife, radius'd grinding wheel and buffing wheel method, forming the windshield curvature over 30 gallon drums, 55 gallon dums and yes, a 150 gallon truck fuel tank. You also need a good hot air gun.

Oh I have no problem buying the plastic from clearview, but I don't wanna have to buy a Triumph shield just for the mounting hardware. I did find a picture of one on another site that uses VTX mounts and a Memphis Fats shield, hmmm thinking maybe.

I've worked on a few experimental aircraft windshields, before and it can be an experience to say the least. Much easier to just buy the thing already made, if available. Thinking about the Memphis Fats route and the VTX brackets.

CAD,

You can buy the fixing unit separately...

$82US from Triumph and then buy whatever plastic your heart desires... as long as it fits.

Even if you bought from Memphis Shades, you'd still have to buy the MS mounts (which they don't make for the R3). Buy the TRA mounts, measure'em up and see what plactic you can ge that'll fit.

P.S. I believe that the TRA mount is the same mount that you need if you're going to install their fog light kit.

RatBoy is quite correct. The "Front End Fixing Kit" hardware can be purchased separately. $85.28 + S&H (screwing and hassles) for example at BikeBandit. There's a link to BikeBandit under the> Where's my Prop Wand> RIII Resources. BikeBandit < RatBoy's favorite:D

Unless I'm missing something the shield hardware is mounted and shipped with the shield and all the front end fixing kit is, the mounting attachments needed to mount the shield to the bike. The problem comes in with the hardware mounted to the shield that doesn't come with the fixing kit. I hope that I'm wrong but I fear that I'm not.

The only way to get the mounts for the shield is to buy the front end fixing kit and the roadster shield then to also purchase the clearview taller and wider shield that I want. It doesn't seem practical that triumph would ship all the hardware needed to mount every shield that they sell with the fixing kit and not with the windshield itself.

I have thought about buying the front end kit and probably will to get the mounts that I need to mount on the bike. And then reverse engineer the windshield hardware to fit it.

I believe that you're correct... I reread the ClearView site...

"Note: These Shields are Designed to Mount to the OEM Triumph Brackets. (you must have one of the Triumph shields, the Triumph fixing kit does not include all of the brackets needed.)
(we do not offer any brackets) "

Sorry dude, but it sounds like you're screwed if you wanted a ClearView.

I don't understand why they would sell the brackets that attach it to the F-E fixing unit. It doesn't make any sense.

Strange, but true.

It's all very simple really. Clearview don't sell any bracketry period. All they sell are replacement windshields and the reason they only sell polycarbonate and lexan and not bracketry is because if they sold a direct replacement windshield and bracketry, they would fall under the legality of trade dress infirngement and would wind up in a lengthy, very expensive court battle with not only National Cycle but Triumph, LTD as well as any other OEM bike they make replacement windshields for, like BMW or HD.

Just like when GM sued Triumph, LTD for trade dress infringement over the copyrighted name 'Bonneville'. Triumph, I believe settled out of court and proved they were using the name before GM coined it's Pontiac model a Bonneville.

Back