Why compare Apples (Rockets) to Oranges (Diavels)

norseman

Supercharged
Ride
2013 (early year) Roadster
The Diavel was brought up in one of the welcome threads and I started to type a rant, but stopped myself because that's not what the welcome posts are for! Instead I'm going to post some thoughts here and see if I'm all alone in my opinions.

If you look up the Triumph Thunderbird, you find endless comparisons with Harley, Victory, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and all bringing high displacement low riding twins to the shootout. If you look up the Rocket, you find a couple of these... but for the most part our big beasties are being compared to the Ducati Diavel and Yamaha Vmax. Although I'm proud that an 800 lb Brit has the guts to enter that pageant, it doesn't seem like a fair fight.

Rake angle and seat height do not define a machine, they just describe wheelbase and frame shape. The Rocket is a cruiser, and a thoroughbred. It is spacious, at stock is quiet but with a warm rumbling cadence that is pleasing at highway speeds, and maintains unmistakable cruiser styling along with its undeniable cruiser attitude. It would be difficult to claim (even for the Roadster) that the Rocket was designed without CRUISING and touring in mind. It just happens to be the biggest, fastest, meanest cruiser in the world!! It should be stacked up against the m109 (which is also a fantastic machine), the Vrod, perhaps the Victory Hammer, and any other bike that was designed to provide comfortable cruising for the horsepower addicted hooligan.

The Diavel is an utterly fantastic machine, but a cruiser it aint. It's comfortable compared to a sport bike or even a naked, but cramped for long hauls (at least at 6'2" it is) no room for bags, it's got a great engine note but it's too high strung to really comfortably pack on miles, fairly short range on a tank of gas, and generally misses the mark on every element that defines the niche. It's a great competitor for the Vmax because it's a supremely powerful and excellently balanced 2 wheeled machine, but to compare it to the Rocket seems misguided. One is not clearly better than the other, they simply have different design goals. Invariably, reviewers side with the Ducati because it is lighter, more aggressive in corners, and has general performance characteristics not found on the Rocket. Am I the only one who doesn't understand this? Folks are calling the Diavel a "Power Cruiser" but there is very little cruiser to it. The bike was clearly not designed for cruising... doesn't that make it "not a cruiser"?

Really the same set of arguments apply for the Vmax, I just didn't include it throughout. The only things those 2 bikes have in common with any cruiser (from what I can tell) is rake angle and seating position. Does that really make them cruisers? If Harley took a sportster and cranked the seat up 20 inches, moved the controls to the passenger pegs and pulled in the front fork, would it be a supersport?

In the end, I bought the machine I loved most. I could have pulled the trigger for a Diavel or a Vmax, but whatever anybody calls it... cruiser... street fighter... I adore my Rocket. I may add to my stable as time goes on, but I can't imagine my garage without her generous proportions dominating the room.

Totally agree.. The Rocket is a 'muscle' cruiser.. similar to the M109, Victory Judge or Hammer, the V-Rod, etc. All of those bikes are great looking and can be rigged up easily to travel long distances.. The V-Max and Diavel are not as versatile. Ducati does make a very ugly touring version, the Diavel Strada though, totally ruining a good looking bike..

I entered a dyno HP contest last summer and they entered my Rocket in the 'Cruiser' class. After I blasted all other cruisers by huge amounts, they kicked me out because I made too much power for the class and gave my money back.. I couldn't believe it.

Good thoughts. Despite Ducati's best marketing effort, there's no way that the Diavel should be slotted in the cruiser category. Even trying to add the sub-cat of "power" cruiser is a stretch. It is best and foremost a Naked which would more appropriately compare it to the Speed Triple. It is a very lustful bike but a cruiser it is not.

The Vmax, on the other hand, I have a harder time redefining it. The original V-max set the standard and defined the "power cruiser" sub-category. It and the Kawa Eliminator were the vanguard of the genus. Stoplight to stoplight dominance were their appeal but added the qualities of adequate handling, reasonable comfort and normal cruising range.

The new Vmax, however, certainly comprimises range (100 miles at best between fillups) and comfort. Does that kick it out of the "power cruiser" category? The jury is still out on that. IMHO, it does and therefore should fit more into the hooliganish Naked category.

Just 2 weeks ago I went by the Ducati dealership...I sat on the Diavel...Very nice M/C for sure...
Very comfortable for what it is.....But it is not a cruiser and that is a fact.

Plus the $25,000 price tag:eek:....not even close to the Rocket.:D

But as I have always said...never saw a gun I did not like and a motorcycle I did not like either....Just wish I could one of all of them...:eek:.....Guns and Bikes

I own a new Vmax, and I just bought a Carpenterized Rocket. Why? Because they're so different. I've gotten used to the Vmax's power and can't do a normal tourer. I love 'em both.

Good thoughts. Despite Ducati's best marketing effort, there's no way that the Diavel should be slotted in the cruiser category. Even trying to add the sub-cat of "power" cruiser is a stretch. It is best and foremost a Naked which would more appropriately compare it to the Speed Triple. It is a very lustful bike but a cruiser it is not.

The Vmax, on the other hand, I have a harder time redefining it. The original V-max set the standard and defined the "power cruiser" sub-category. It and the Kawa Eliminator were the vanguard of the genus. Stoplight to stoplight dominance were their appeal but added the qualities of adequate handling, reasonable comfort and normal cruising range.

The new Vmax, however, certainly comprimises range (100 miles at best between fillups) and comfort. Does that kick it out of the "power cruiser" category? The jury is still out on that. IMHO, it does and therefore should fit more into the hooliganish Naked category.

cruisers

Hey!! how come no one added Harley Davidson to the list of "muscle cruisers"?:eek: LOL!

My son has a SE V-rod....It is faster than my rocket on top end...or was....LOL

It is the 2005 SE Orange....it looks awesome....but for $32,000 out the door...it should be..

It does feel like a skinny bicycle after riding the Rocket

My son has a SE V-rod....It is faster than my rocket on top end...or was....LOL

It is the 2005 SE Orange....it looks awesome....but for $32,000 out the door...it should be..

It does feel like a skinny bicycle after riding the Rocket

Hmm... I'm surprised the V-rod was faster. The numbers I have seen look like this:

V-rod:
Weight - 675 lbs
HP - 115
Torque - 85 lb/ft
HP/Lb - 0.170

Rocket:
Weight - 805
HP - 140
Torque - 165
HP/Lb - 0.174

So they "should" have similar power to weight ratios (the Rocket is a hair better) but the rocket produces almost 2x the torque. I think these are Roadster numbers, but the classic was only slightly different. I guess the proof is in the pudding though!

Back