What do you use to clean your scoot?

Kmutt

Nitrous
With the riding season starting in my neck of the woods, I was wondering what the "seasoned" riders use to clean their bikes. So im putting this post out there for some "clean" advice (pun intended). :D

My plans are to have:
Mild auto wash detergent for the whole bike
Sponge for non painted, non chromed parts
Sponge for painted and chromed parts
lint free cloth for non painted, non chrome parts
lint free cloth for painted and chromed parts
Alum/chrome polish
Leaf blower to dry most of it off

There are alot of products available for this task and alot of ways to do it.
Hopefully this will gather some useful information for newbs who now have a scoot they dont have to flake rust off before going through the car wash !!!!:cool:

mutt

I've kind of narrowed my cleaning supplies down to a couple of items. I used to use S100 cleaner but it seems to white rust aluminum so I switched to Aiken Chemical Purple Power. I use it in a spray bottle for heavy dirt (like on the bottom and the tires) and diluted in a bucket (a cup to a couple gallons warm water) for everything else. TSC sells Purple Power for around 10 bucks for 2.5 gallons, which lasts all summer.

I use GE Silicone Spray on a rag or sprayed on a paint brush to 'blacken' the motor block. Works really well and goes a long way. I use shop air to blow off the water (air chuck and hose) and I use either Honda Pro-Polish or S100 Spray Detail Wax to shine up the tank and I use it on the windscreen (keeps bugs from sticking).

..well, I'm not a seasoned rider..only been riding a couple years..but here's what I do..

..'gingerly' get the bike wet with hose spray..be careful around electrical 'stuff' and wheel bearings..spray all of bike down with S100 Welcome to S100 Cycle Care Products ..let set for a few minutes then rinse off..then rinse with Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash System ..I don't use the soap product..then blow dry with a $70.00 motorcycle dryer from wally world..then go for short ride to make sure everything is dry..:D..

Budman...

One big problem with S100 that I found (besides it's hard on even anodized aluminum) is that it strips grease really easily. That can be a problem on an older R3 like mine because I keep all the electrical connectors greased up with di-electric grease. The S100 started rusting my upper fork legs, going right through the anodize. It's strong stuff.

A little tip for a buggy windscreen. Take a little bit of H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) on a clean rag and wipe the windshield down before you wash it. The Hydrogen Peroxide dissolves the exoskeleton of the bugs so even if they are baked on, they come right off with just a blast from your hose.

I keep a bottle and rag in the bike on trips for those 'beside the road' wipe downs.

texas two step

Best stuff I've found. Spray it on, wipe it off. Washes and waxes w no residue.

HOME

I use "Suzuki Wash". Spray it on and hose it off being careful not to get the electrics wet. I use a leaf blower to dry the bike. I polish it maybe once a month or so with Honda Pro Polish. It takes me about an hour and a half if I do everything. It takes 30 minutes tops if I just washing the bike.

A couple of notes:

- I'm not a fan of S100. It does exactly what Flip says, in my experience. I used it a few times on my old Street Bob and it hosed up the fork tubes.

- Most people polish (aka wax) WAY TOO OFTEN. If water beads on the bike, it doesn't need to be waxed.

Wizard's wash concentrate for the "big" wash job and after every ride a quick detail with Plexus. Plexus works great on everything and I only need one thing in my saddlebags along with a few micro wipes. Helmet, faceshield, windscreen, paint, chrome-you name it. Plexus on all of 'em. Simple and quick.

if I am washing the bike with water I spray it down with honda brite and wash with sponge and rinse. Only use water maybe 2 time a year.

use Mirror glaze pase wax maybe 2 times a year and the rest of the time I clean with luckus slick mist. and lexnol for the leather (Hope to switch to flips product soon) rain x for the widshield. I use aircraft alum polish/cleaner for the wheels.

if I am washing the bike with water I spray it down with honda brite and wash with sponge and rinse. Only use water maybe 2 time a year.

use Mirror glaze pase wax maybe 2 times a year and the rest of the time I clean with luckus slick mist. and lexnol for the leather (Hope to switch to flips product soon) rain x for the widshield. I use aircraft alum polish/cleaner for the wheels.

............If you have a bit of Lexol left, just drink it. It's good for a laxitave and that's about it. If you have some 'Mink Oil' around, it would be good for frying eggs in. Mink Oil is thinly disguised lard............:D

The HD guys all use the Honda Pro-Polish. They take a length of electrical tape and cover the word 'Honda' up.:eek:

Back