What a little beauty

If I ever get to check the cross-country by bike thing off my bucket list it will be with an SUV pulling an enclosed motorcycle trailer with room for at least two large cruisers. Some might think that is a cop-out or not the way to do it, but, for me, now into my seventh decade on the planet and my fifth decade in the saddle, it's the only way I would consider getting it done. Since I have nothing to prove to anyone, having the comfort and convenience options that this will afford, suits me to a tee. My "Then Came Bronson" days are in the rearview mirror, so a more comfortable and leisurely trip is the order of the day.

At my stage in the game, I have no interest at all in riding across boring or desolate stretches of highway, on dangerous or overcrowded roads or through wet and otherwise inclement weather. The trailer can double as a camper whenever the conditions won't allow for pitching a tent in a good campsite or, should I feel the need for more creature comfort, such as a nice hotel room, I won't have to fret about the security or exposure of my ride. When I get to any destination that I want to enjoy/explore on two wheels I will always have that pleasure available as my first choice for touring.

Big mistake, Phil!
I'm about done with my 7th decade and made the Xcountry ride last year. 11,500 miles in 6 weeks, WA to FL to DC to Sturgis to home.
Not too much slab, searched out all the twisties possible. I shall do it again when starting my 8th decade!

Big mistake, Phil!
I'm about done with my 7th decade and made the Xcountry ride last year. 11,500 miles in 6 weeks, WA to FL to DC to Sturgis to home.
Not too much slab, searched out all the twisties possible. I shall do it again when starting my 8th decade!
And he's so old he knew dirt when it was still a rock. :p

What can I say other than I like my comfort and I have already traveled cross-country by car three times and by train, once. I know what I like, where I want to revisit and that I'm disinclined to roughing it? Different strokes for different folks!

I doubt anyone disagrees with your logic, and if that's what you'd want to do, then that's what you should do. You just can't check the box that says XC by bike. Have to say, "XC with bike in a trailer and riding only the good bits" doesn't sound quite as glamorous but it sure beats the hek out of not doing it.

Glamour's got nothin' to do with it, a' la...

If or when I'm able to fulfill this dream trip, I'd never claim to have ridden cross-country, but to have toured some of the best bits of the lower 48 with a motorcycle.

Not until I gain sufficient mastery over roofing, Steve! That was L'il Bill's undoing, IMO - bad Karma, them leaky roofs.:oops::)

Back