Warps spring mod & Dust/oil seal

Mongler07

Supercharged
Ride
07 R3 classic
I have the clutch cover off now that i fixed the bosses on the block but noticed the cover is cracked in 2 places from PO dropping it.
the new cover (used) that i got has the same issue. the seal is torn / worn though and the spring is coming though. i found the thread here about this part and ordered a 5mm hight seal instead (hoping it will work) as the 4.5mm one will arrive in a few weeks vs tomorrow!
I Found only 2 posts that mention the " Warps spring mod" and i searched Geralds posts but didn't find anything more.
Questions
1: what spring was used? (i'm sure i can figure it out.. but might as well ask to be sure)
2: can the shaft be removed completely to change out this seal once the cover is back on? i would like to put it all back together but i'm waiting on the seal.
3: what's the real reason to do the external spring mod? is the one internal going to snap? i saw the detent spring thread... yikes!

The external spring is easier to fit and get it all back together. I can't remember what size I used, but I bought a variety pack of springs from my local Ace Hardware and used one that looked about right.

The external spring is easier to fit and get it all back together. I can't remember what size I used, but I bought a variety pack of springs from my local Ace Hardware and used one that looked about right.
I used a flat washer at base of clutch housing and then a sleeved washer from automotive emergency brake to center the spring and then a spring. Won't take to much to take up free play. Probably about 1/2-5/8" in dia. and around 1" long. Good luck I originally saw a posting Warp had made several yrs. ago, and I added the bushing from an emergency brake to center the spring.

Last edited:
Yep I just used one out of the drawer at Ace Hardware. Ian is right about the easier to install. All I did was screw in onto the cable . Even lucked out and it threads right over the lower cable sheaths thread. I have one bike with it and the one I crashed last year didn't. If I end up opening her up I'll inspect and switch it over if needed. Now the seal on the clutch cover can be pulled with a scribe or prick punch. You can use a deap well socket that clears the spline end of the lifter shaft to install the new one

Back