Viking exhaust is hot

I don’t understand all this. I run Les’s pipes, which put #3 primary about 2” from my right knee. No issues unless sitting in slow 1-5mph traffic and keeping feet up while in the clutch friction zone with heat.

Makes me wonder about the timing table for those with big heat issues, a too retarded timing map will cause massive heat dump into the exhaust.

I have Ceramic coated Jardines and have mounted Honda Goldwing highway pegs to the frame upfront so i can stretch out when i want too. My right calf has touched the headers the odd time and its amazing how quick you can move the leg out an inch. I am at least pleased that the message gets from my leg to my brain and back to my leg in about as much time it takes to blink even after all that alcohol and other mind numbing stuff that has gone thru my brain cells over the years!...sometimes i go "F**K!!" under my helmet but mostly i just move my leg and listen to the beautiful tone those suckers make!!
I aint changing them....just as soon get used to putting my foot out a bit wider....

A map that keeps heat down will need more (!) ignition advance than stock.
And perfect fueling. Too rich or lean will heat up the exhaust.

You could always go with a thick section of leather straped to you leg under your extra heavy duty leather riding pants.

Should keep the heat down.

But if your riding with just jeans on the heat will be very noticeable.

I would look at the leather with velcro straps to hold in place only needs to be on the side of the leg closest to the headers.
What might work (at least protect your britches) is an archer's wrist protector. E-bay has many choices and sizes and fairly cheap too.

You could always go with a thick section of leather straped to you leg under your extra heavy duty leather riding pants.
Should keep the heat down.
But if your riding with just jeans on the heat will be very noticeable.
I would look at the leather with velcro straps to hold in place only needs to be on the side of the leg closest to the headers.

This here works real well for me:

Leggin.JPG

Back