Very hard to start in am's

rocketbill

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Got an new battery have been riding and everything is good until a couple days ago it was probably 65-70 degrees in the am and came very close to having to drive the car to work. Probably 5 minutes trying to get the beast to start. Once started on trips and such fires right up but initially in the ams really hard to start. First you have to crank it over many times without firing, then you get single puffs, then doubles and triples then eventually she starts. Nobody wants to work on it close to where i live so i'll have to go to the closest Triumph dealer 1.5 hrs away. Anybody have any ideas, i put the eastern beaver kit in when i bought the bike 6 weeks ago or so. Its a 2005 granite grey. Has tune boy aircleaners on it. Went out this am and same thing, did have the trickle charger on it all night to make sure the battery was full charge, made no difference. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had a lot of issues with my '05 last year. I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires (mine were cracked through!), primary TPS, the fuel filter and still had issues. I also disconnected my PowerCommander and tried to use TuneECU with different tunes, but couldn't get it to run right. I took it to my local dealer and they replaced the rubber gromets that hold the throttle bodies to the head but it still ran like crap.. I didn't have time to mess with it anymore.. so I took it to the Austin dealer.. They went through everything, inluding installing a new battery and another new fuel filter.

The Austin dealer discovered that the my local dealer had not tightened the throttle body gromets and I had huge vacuum leaks! They tightened everything up. I had then loaded TORs tune since that's what my PowerCommander map was based off of... and low and behold the bike has run great ever since!

My bike does have a lot of miles on it (70K this weekend) Basically it was a combination of plug wires, rubber throttle bodie gromets, and getting the right tune back in there...

U might try to turn the key on 3-4 times before u try to start it this has helped on stb rocket

Changed the plugs, they looked like the had been in there since 2005 but who knows. While the tank was up found a vacuum hose that was off( t piece with 3 hoses on it) put it back on and zip tied it. Bike runs well but well see in the am if it is hard to start or not.

65-70 degrees is beautifull, thats makes a person extra pissed off if you can't ride because your bike won't start. Anyway that problem is fixed bike is running great today that loose vacuum hose was the culprit, zip tied it on and bike is starting right up:D.

Back