Urgently need to be reminded

Jamie

Living Legend
Have sold, well... almost sold my TOR's. The French buyer had no clue about the need to adjust the tune (apparently, the French standard tune is constrained to produce no more than 100 HP :( and the TOR pipes are not even imported by Triumph France !).

What's the tune code that is TOR compatible, with the cat box on? Sorry for my memory lapse and THANKS for your prompt repy. Jamie;)

New Tunes
20050 Standard silencer with catalytic converter
20051 78.1 kw French restricted tune
20052 72.1 kw German restricted tune
20053 Accessory silencer with empty catalytic converter
20054 Accessory silencer with catalytic converter removed
20055 Standard silencer with empty catalytic converter
20056 Accessory silencer with empty catalytic converter

Stole the above from Pig9r's FAQ. I don't see a tune for that setup which makes sense. Why bother buying the upgraded pipes if you can't flow any more air through it with the CAT still in place?

Yikes... that's a problem allright! I guess I would go with the 20053. French dealers might not even have those tunes available to them... he may have to travel outside France to get a tune... because the 20053 will bump him to "Full Power" (ie not 100 HP) and it might be illegal for French Dealers to load that into bikes.

What a great upgrade for French and German Rocket owners... do a quick reprogram of the ECM and pick up 45 or so ponies!! How would the ECM police detect this? Do they do emmissions testing in France?

After seeing all of the other tunes with TuneEdit, I think I would just go with the 20050 tune. It is the least restrictive and there aren't any fuel mapping differences between them.

Thanks. I don't want to short-change my TOR buyer. The bad news is that the French Triumph dealers are not authorized to alter the French, legally-mandated 20051 tune. And I don't think he'll want to ride the 500 k's distance from Paris to Geneva for a tune change. God save la France. Best. Jamie

How would the ECM police detect this? Do they do emissions testing in France?

My wifes cousin visited us from Germany. He had a Triumph sport bike from the late 90's. I talked about it once, but don't recall the specifics of the bike. Anyway he purchased the bike used and equipped with an aftermarket exhaust and some other goodies. He was pulled over and fined for the aftermarket exhausts noise level. As i recall it wasn't too high a fine. What was serious is the fact the extra ponies need to be accounted for as insurance rates are tied to performance. His insurance was for a stock bike so according to German law he was in violation. In Germany this is a big no no. He spent all day with the police as they dynoed his bike and told him he was a big fat nasty law breaker who was now facing court, jail, Lawyer fees, and big fines. Lucky for him he had the original exhaust and other original parts and was allowed to retrieve and put on that day. He ended up paying about 800 USD and missed work for almost two days. He also payed the balance owed the insurance company. Had he not had the original parts to put on or was not mechanically inclined to do so he would have needed to purchase and have installed stock equipment or face the court system.

We are very lucky to live in the US of A, Ladies and Gentleman.

Of French (and German) Mandated Rocket Tunes

Just found out that my TOR prospect ain't no novice and has already tweaked his Rocket to the standard European (EXcluding France and Germany :confused: ) 142 rated HP. So he gets the TOR's, I get the money BUT I no longer have second thoughts about selling something to him that he cannot use properly due to the tune compatibility issue. The French police is HIS problem, and he already knows that.

Thanks for your help, folks:cool: .

Last edited:
Jamie if the French investgate such offenses in a similar manner to that of the Germans, according to Hondax' post, you might be tied into an international conspiracy to illegally increase horsepower. :D Don't worry I know an attorney that might be able to help you out.

Time For Mission Impossible

Jamie..... I've used up the only good lawyer ( is that an oxymoran? ) I know...... so my only suggestion is for you to watch the movie "Mission Impossible" and it's sequel. At least they show you lots of varied escape routes when someone's after you. James Bond's has nothing on these spies.

If you have to leave country, I'm sure we could provide an unground railroad on this side of the pond that could keep you hidden for a long time. I'm going to volunteer Toystoretom to be first because he's much more devious than Pig9r or me. :rolleyes:

How's that GREEN R3 doing?

Back