SteveRed

.060 Over
I spoke at length with Wayne of Tuneboy fame this afternoon. We are meeting up on Thursday and he will load up the Tuneboy and dyno my Rocket. This guy is a wealth of information and has his own ideas on why the R3 has idle problems (not all R3's but quite a few)... something to do with two seperate fuel maps, one for high compression when the engine is under load and one for when the engine is cruising at low revs... Anyway he lost me half way through his explanation. He also has a view on removing the secondary butterfly valves and why it is not a good idea! Again his expination was beyond me but had to do with the engine map still working as if they were still there even after they had been removed etc etc.

The good news is that TuneBoy will overcome most of these probs and I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY that Wayne will do the install and dyno my bike for me. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The guy is very genuine and I will keep you posted and will try harder to listen and understand what the guy has to say when we meet up.

Wayne did say that it is better to load the TuneBoy up using the factory settings/tune. Something to do with the TB will overcome the shortfall anyway and some of the other Triumph tunes exhibit problems with ignition!? He will reload the standard setting on my bike and start from there. :D ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Red!!

I get the feeling you are very happy:D. Seriously... let us know how it works out. Wayne seems like a great guy, I hope he is very successful with this.

Thanks SteveRed... What kind of setup do you have intake and exhaust wise? Wayne has said before that there are different ignition maps for each gear and that the first few gears appeared to be "detuned." I'll be curious to see what he changes ignition wise vs Triumph's map. I would assume the fuel map will be richer throughout as it looks Triumph's map is pretty lean in some areas. And of course the problem gets worse if you modify the intake and/or put on aftermarket exhaust. If you look at his site he shows a Triumph map and then the same map that he has cleaned up using TuneEdit. Those maps can be displayed 3D on a graph. You can tell that Triumph changes things in the 2000 to 4000 range possibly for emission and noise standards.

Thanks SteveRed... What kind of setup do you have intake and exhaust wise? Wayne has said before that there are different ignition maps for each gear and that the first few gears appeared to be "detuned." I'll be curious to see what he changes ignition wise vs Triumph's map. I would assume the fuel map will be richer throughout as it looks Triumph's map is pretty lean in some areas. And of course the problem gets worse if you modify the intake and/or put on aftermarket exhaust. If you look at his site he shows a Triumph map and then the same map that he has cleaned up using TuneEdit. Those maps can be displayed 3D on a graph. You can tell that Triumph changes things in the 2000 to 4000 range possibly for emission and noise standards.

Here is a link to the site where Wayne (aka Tuneboy) has posted the results of our day on the dyno...

We changed the fuel map and dummy ran other tests... We did not play with the ignition maps at this stage although he feels there is more power to find there, hopefully we will be meeting up after I have removed the PCIII plug and installed the replacement filter from under seat to single cone set up! You can see from the result that the Triumph 20054 tune is not all it is set up to be!

Back